ASTRO: NGC2903

Old April 2nd 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Default ASTRO: NGC2903

Hi, Another meager attempt at imaging. Sky was a tad milky so it made the
backgroung sky color weird and hard to even out, focus was soft, and the
seeing was poor. Taken through 4" Tak @ f/6 with a modded Canon XTi. 4 x
3min. Aligned in PW and processed in PS7.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2903DD.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1821
Old April 2nd 08, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Nice shot Joe, beautifull round stars and nice galaxy in the middle.
Like it.

reg--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

news:FqCdnaV6jZN4KG7anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@eaglecompute rtechnology...

Old April 3rd 08, 02:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"J McBride" wrote in message
news:FqCdnaV6jZN4KG7anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@eaglecompute rtechnology...
Hi, Another meager attempt at imaging. Sky was a tad milky so it made the
backgroung sky color weird and hard to even out, focus was soft, and the
seeing was poor. Taken through 4" Tak @ f/6 with a modded Canon XTi. 4 x
3min. Aligned in PW and processed in PS7.

I really like that image Joe

the isolated galaxies always look nice to me.

Old April 4th 08, 05:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"J McBride" wrote
Hi, Another meager attempt at imaging. Sky was a tad milky so it made the
backgroung sky color weird and hard to even out, focus was soft, and the
seeing was poor. Taken through 4" Tak @ f/6 with a modded Canon XTi. 4 x
3min. Aligned in PW and processed in PS7.

Joe,

That image looks pretty "substantial" to me!

I had a chance to observe this galaxy on Wednesday night using the
Kopernik Obs RC20 with some friends (no imaging that night). I'm always
amazed how bright this galaxy is and how much structure you can see in a big
scope. I'm sure that it's impressive in your 4-in refractor also! I often
surprise people by showing this guy in an old Edmund Astroscan.

We did have average (for us) seeing but it was very dark (and cold).
Using a Sky Quality Meter I got readings of 21.25 at Kopernik which roughly
translates into Naked Eye Limiting Magnitude of 6.3, and, upon arriving home
I got 20.25, i.e., NEL Mag of 5.7. Certainly not as dark as west Texas, or
for that matter the Adirondacks, or Cherry Springs PA, but still it was
pretty dark. Thanks to that we pushed the RC20 observing for example a
cluster of 5 galaxies near M-48, the brightest of which was 13.5 mag. They
were there to see. There was considerable structure in NGC 2903. I think my
Obsession 20, with it's much smaller secondary, would have done even better.

George N

Old April 5th 08, 12:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Joe, nice wide field shots. NGC 2903 shows good detail even at that scale.

Stefan

"J McBride" wrote

Old April 6th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Great shot Joe!

--
John N. Gretchen III