ASTRO: NGC2903 color

Old March 6th 08, 02:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC2903 color

I cobbled together a color version of NGC2903 the past few nights

I have a lot more red data than I do blue and green but it came out OK so I
may stop now

here's where to find it:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._crgb_page.htm

it is a total of 95 x 5 minutes

47 x 5 minutes was unfiltered luminance and the rest was RGB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc2903_mk1sn2_pl32_geg_optec_95x5min_2x2_svga.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1738
Old March 6th 08, 03:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
I cobbled together a color version of NGC2903 the past few nights

I have a lot more red data than I do blue and green but it came out OK so I
may stop now

here's where to find it:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._crgb_page.htm

it is a total of 95 x 5 minutes

47 x 5 minutes was unfiltered luminance and the rest was RGB

I was wondering when we'd see the color version. Looks great. Was that
binned 2x2?

Mine is way too blue. I didn't have the processing know-how or skills I
have today and couldn't do a good job of compensating for my blue
sensitivity so things tended to be too blue. That was my blue period I
suppose. I only had 15x5 images, 6 of which were L. I need to go back
and reprocess it. Better yet, retake it on a better night.

I finally have a clear night and seeing is good too! Will wonders ever
cease? Working on 3718 and the Hickson group below it. One I've
started many times only to get goofed up by something. 4 aborts last
year and one this so far. Hope the snow that's forecast for later
tonight holds off. Tried a couple nights ago but after only 20 minutes
the guide star faded away. I went out to see if it was only temporary
and found it was already snowing. Seemed to take forever for the scope
go reach park and it went through the zenith on the way letting in more
snow. Fortunately it was cold enough it didn't melt and a blast of air
from my portable, filtered air tank blew it all off the corrector
without harm. It was snowing while I still had a guide star!

Rick

Old March 6th 08, 04:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:
I cobbled together a color version of NGC2903 the past few nights

I have a lot more red data than I do blue and green but it came out OK so
I may stop now

here's where to find it:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._crgb_page.htm

it is a total of 95 x 5 minutes

47 x 5 minutes was unfiltered luminance and the rest was RGB

I was wondering when we'd see the color version. Looks great. Was that
binned 2x2?

Hey thanks for the comment Rick. Yes it was binned 2x2. Unless the seeing is
exceptional I run 2x2. That works out to be about 0.84 arc-sec/pixel. Binned
1x1 is 0.42"/pixel so it is nice when the seeing is good.

Mine is way too blue. I didn't have the processing know-how or skills I
have today and couldn't do a good job of compensating for my blue

Don't we all sing that tune :-) You just described my entire collection of
galaxy images. I never really got into them once I got going on nebulae with
emission line filters in suburban skies (bright). That kept me busy for
about four years so far.

sensitivity so things tended to be too blue. That was my blue period I
suppose. I only had 15x5 images, 6 of which were L. I need to go back and
reprocess it. Better yet, retake it on a better night.

I finally have a clear night and seeing is good too! Will wonders ever

That's great. I hope you can get a good one from that torturingly cold place
you do your imaging (brr)

cease? Working on 3718 and the Hickson group below it. One I've started
many times only to get goofed up by something. 4 aborts last year and one
this so far. Hope the snow that's forecast for later tonight holds off.
Tried a couple nights ago but after only 20 minutes the guide star faded
away. I went out to see if it was only temporary and found it was already
snowing. Seemed to take forever for the scope go reach park and it went
through the zenith on the way letting in more snow. Fortunately it was
cold enough it didn't melt and a blast of air from my portable, filtered
air tank blew it all off the corrector without harm. It was snowing while
I still had a guide star!

Snow, what's that?

we're in the middle of spring out here.
rdc

Old March 6th 08, 06:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

[...]

We may have snow and cold but we don't have earthquakes. I've felt
minor ones every time I've been out your way, which isn't often
thankfully. I take cold better than heat as well. Cops put a limit on
the cloths you can take off. Causes folks to point and laugh as well.
But you can keep piling on the winter coats until you are comfortable.
I can be comfortable at -30C if there's little wind but I start to
suffer at +30C! But then I'm well insulated naturally.

Rick

Old March 8th 08, 12:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
I cobbled together a color version of NGC2903 the past few nights.......

Great image Richard!

I love this galaxy. I can remember showing it to people with an Edmund
Astroscan 4.25" just to prove that Messier should have found it!

.....of course I was using a Nagler eyepiece that cost more than the
scope.......

George N

Old March 8th 08, 12:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
......... That was my blue period I suppose.........

LOL!!!!

I guess that's why some people just stick with B&W imaging!

George N

Old March 8th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote

Snow, what's that?

Richard, (and other warm-weather readers):

Just to answer your question, check out the attached picture!

This picture was taken for the Kopernik Obs "Weather Watch imaging contest"
by a local high school girl. It was taken about a week ago in Syracuse NY,
and an hour drive north of here.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blizzard in Syr Costello.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	1744
Old March 8th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
We may have snow and cold but we don't have earthquakes.......

Rick, et al:

New York must be "twice as lucky"....... Syracuse is the snowiest big
city in the US and we *do* have earthquakes. I've had broken windows and
dishes and other damage twice in the house I rent in the Adirondacks from
earthquakes (and where the snow pack is over 3 feet deep right now), and a
few years ago a two-lane road was lost when a quake dropped it down a
valley. The Northeast is supposedly about a hundred years over-do for a big
quake - the last one was in the mid 1750's, with considerable damage to
Boston.

George N

Old March 8th 08, 02:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message

"Richard Crisp" wrote
I cobbled together a color version of NGC2903 the past few nights.......

Great image Richard!

thanks George

I love this galaxy. I can remember showing it to people with an Edmund
Astroscan 4.25" just to prove that Messier should have found it!

.....of course I was using a Nagler eyepiece that cost more than the
scope.......

that's a Nagler all-right.....

George N