ASTRO: M1 binned 2x2 in Halpha

Old January 3rd 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: M1 binned 2x2 in Halpha

Last night was clear but the seeing wasn't very good.

Still I liked the idea of shooting images and all I had to use easily was
the 18" which is set up 24/7 in the backyard.

So I decided to shoot the Crab in Halpha using 2x2 binning at 0.84
arc-sec/pixel (cm10 @ 3366mm binned 2x2)

Here is what I got: 19 x 10 minutes of Halpha binned 2x2

if I did the math right from a signal to noise perspective this is like
720minutes binned 1x1 (190 x 4) or 12 hours

I haven't shot flats yet and used one from early september. Don't look too
closely or you will see why I say I need new flats :-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m1_mk1sn2_cm10_geg_baader_ha_19x10min_2x2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1576
Old January 3rd 08, 03:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
t...
Last night was clear but the seeing wasn't very good.

Still I liked the idea of shooting images and all I had to use easily was
the 18" which is set up 24/7 in the backyard.

So I decided to shoot the Crab in Halpha using 2x2 binning at 0.84
arc-sec/pixel (cm10 @ 3366mm binned 2x2)

Here is what I got: 19 x 10 minutes of Halpha binned 2x2

if I did the math right from a signal to noise perspective this is like
720minutes binned 1x1 (190 x 4) or 12 hours

sorry , I didn't do the math right: 190 x 4 = 760minutes = 12h 40m

Old January 3rd 08, 02:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
john

Great shot Richard! Do you have a picture of your backyard setup?

Richard Crisp wrote:
Last night was clear but the seeing wasn't very good.

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old January 3rd 08, 02:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"john" wrote in message
m...
Great shot Richard! Do you have a picture of your backyard setup?

thanks John

Here is a photo of how things basically look

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ima...n2_preview.jpg

about all I have done differently is to add a shroud around the main mirror
end of the scope to cut down on dew and stray light

Old January 3rd 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

"john" wrote in message
m...

Great shot Richard! Do you have a picture of your backyard setup?

thanks John

Here is a photo of how things basically look

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ima...n2_preview.jpg

about all I have done differently is to add a shroud around the main mirror
end of the scope to cut down on dew and stray light

How do you protect it from the weather out there? You must not get our
storms.

Rick

Old January 4th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

"john" wrote in message
m...

Great shot Richard! Do you have a picture of your backyard setup?

thanks John

Here is a photo of how things basically look

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ima...n2_preview.jpg

about all I have done differently is to add a shroud around the main
mirror end of the scope to cut down on dew and stray light

How do you protect it from the weather out there? You must not get our
storms.

I had a telescope cover made and I just cover it up Rick

I guess it may be time to make some more covers; I do that about once a
year. They seem pretty popular with the people that have bought them from
me.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com//scope_bags.htm

I am not sure if costs have gone up since last year so ignore the pricing on
this page which is no longer linked on my website

rdc

Old January 4th 08, 01:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

"john" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Somehow I don't know if they'd survive the 50 to 70 mph winds that are
common here. 100 isn't unknown. Creates lots of firewood. In fact
I've heated the house for the last 3 years with the results of the last
100 mph storm.

Rick

Old January 4th 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

"john" wrote in message
s.com...

[...]

yep we don't get your weather: don't get the cold, don't get the snow, don't
get the winds to that level where I live

We are due for strong winds in the next few days with a lot of rain. The
local news said we may get 60mph winds. If we do I doubt it will be at my
home. With all the hills, valleys, mountains, bay and coastline we get lots
of strange microclimates in the area. It can be 104F in Livermore and be 52F
in San Fran only 40 miles to the west. The winds are really interesting:
they can be blowing from every possible angle on the compass in the area at
times. We can have them blowing due south in one area while blowing due
north across the bay. It is a weird place in many ways besides the people
:-)

check out this page showing the winds:

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/wind/streaklines.shtml

today things are a bit more aligned with the blow coming in from the south
west. when we get it from the north or the north east then it can get really
tangled up

Old January 4th 08, 03:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Richard Crisp wrote:

"john" wrote in message
ws.com...

[...]

My neighbor paid a big price for a big heavy grill cover. First windy
day it was last seen at 150 meters traveling north at about 70 kph. I
imagine it is in the canopy of the Paul Bunyon State Forest if not
farther north.

Rick

Old January 4th 08, 12:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
john

Great looking setup!

--
John N. Gretchen III