ASTRO: NGC 4517, edge-on spiral galaxy in Virgo

Old May 9th 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 4517, edge-on spiral galaxy in Virgo

The seeing conditions were getting poor and it was the end of the night, but
I found this galaxy in TheSky near another target. I only ended up with 7
minutes of useful data, so both the object and background are noisy. This
galaxy is worth another go in color.

This galaxy was discovered by William Herschel in 1784. His son, John
Herschel, recorded this object as a new discovery in 1828, with an error of
5 minutes in RA (west), and a description that makes it certain that he was
observing this galaxy. This re-observation became NGC 4437, but it is
identical to his father's earlier discovery which is NGC 4517. Thus this
galaxy has two entries in the New General Catalog: NGC 4437, and NGC 4517.

For more info, see: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n4517.htm

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n4517.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	818
Old May 9th 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

The seeing conditions were getting poor and it was the end of the night, but
I found this galaxy in TheSky near another target. I only ended up with 7
minutes of useful data, so both the object and background are noisy. This
galaxy is worth another go in color.

This galaxy was discovered by William Herschel in 1784. His son, John
Herschel, recorded this object as a new discovery in 1828, with an error of
5 minutes in RA (west), and a description that makes it certain that he was
observing this galaxy. This re-observation became NGC 4437, but it is
identical to his father's earlier discovery which is NGC 4517. Thus this
galaxy has two entries in the New General Catalog: NGC 4437, and NGC 4517.

For more info, see: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n4517.htm

George N

Nice edge on. My list just got longer.

Rick

Old May 9th 07, 06:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I thought I had an image of that guy George but not so... Looks like a good
one.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 9th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Nice shot George, especially for only 7 minutes. I haven't imaged this one
yet and it's almost a bit too far south to get a good result for me (I
usually have bad seeing if I shoot under +10 degrees declination).

Stefan

Old May 10th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Nice edge on. My list just got longer.

Ya Rick! Do it! I just happened on this one since it was near what was
going to be my last target for the night. I almost fell asleep driving home
that night, so it's a good thing I didn't try for full RGB data.

George N

Old May 10th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
Nice shot George, especially for only 7 minutes. I haven't imaged this one
yet and it's almost a bit too far south to get a good result for me (I
usually have bad seeing if I shoot under +10 degrees declination).

Stefan,

.....and I live in "The North".... (We Americans are still fighting the
Civil War!!)

At Kopernik there is very good southern sky so I can often get down
to -35 degrees or a little lower. Yet from Florida the sky looks odd to me,
with the Constellations "too high". One of these days I'm going to go
camping in the National Park in the US Virgin Islands. From what I've heard
it's pretty dark there, but difficult to get a scope to the island with the
park.

George N

Old May 10th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Doug W." wrote
I thought I had an image of that guy George but not so... Looks like a good
one.

It should make a good target for color imaging.

There are just too many springtime galaxies!

George N

Old May 10th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_2_]

Nice with only 7 minutes; that galaxy has a tiny friend I think at 10
o'clock in your image as well. - take care - Rod

Old May 10th 07, 05:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Nice shot George, especially for only 7 minutes. I haven't imaged this one
yet and it's almost a bit too far south to get a good result for me (I
usually have bad seeing if I shoot under +10 degrees declination).

Stefan,

.....and I live in "The North".... (We Americans are still fighting the
Civil War!!)

At Kopernik there is very good southern sky so I can often get down
to -35 degrees or a little lower. Yet from Florida the sky looks odd to me,
with the Constellations "too high". One of these days I'm going to go
camping in the National Park in the US Virgin Islands. From what I've heard
it's pretty dark there, but difficult to get a scope to the island with the
park.

George N

I think Stefan has the same problem low as I do -- lousy seeing. I can
get low but below 10 or 15 degrees dec seeing most nights goes to pot on
me. Also this guy is getting too far west for my window of good seeing.
It will have to wait for next years list unless I get a really rare
night.

It's very rare for me to get a good night low. I've tried M104 now 4
times but seeing has killed me every time. Things look hopeful tonight
but I'm having to catch it on the west side of the meridian and that
side looks through more mist from the lake. So far so good but one
frame doesn't make much of an image! Looking at the guide star the
second frame now running is not looking so good.

Also as the evening temps have warmed my collimation has gone past the
good point and headed south fast. So tonight I tweaked it. Now my
pointing is all shot to heck but stars do look a lot better! I hate
redoing a T point map!

Rick

Old May 10th 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H[_2_]

Like to see this one with good seeing from you George!
Still nice shot.
reg
Dirk