ASTRO: NGC 3583 and 3577

Old April 22nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 3583 and 3577

This is from the same poor night as NGC 5395. The background count for 5
minute exposures was between 16000 and 18000, in a good night it is about
12000 and in very good nights it can go under 10000. A decent country sky
(mag 6) by comparison has a background of about 1200 (or about a tenth of
what I get in a decent night in the city).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 33x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/3583-33x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3583-33x5gut.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	723
Old April 22nd 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

These are nice galaxies and good views of them too Stefan... Hope you get
some better seeing soon.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 22nd 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

This is from the same poor night as NGC 5395. The background count for 5
minute exposures was between 16000 and 18000, in a good night it is
about 12000 and in very good nights it can go under 10000. A decent
country sky (mag 6) by comparison has a background of about 1200 (or
about a tenth of what I get in a decent night in the city).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount,
SXV-H9 camera, 33x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/3583-33x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Interesting guy. Seems to have an extra arm that doesn't come off the
bar. Interesting barred spiral in the background as well.

Those background counts would give me fits. I think a background of 600
is bad for 5 minutes! Normal is about 350. When snow is on the ground
it goes up to 900 on a bad night and that's binned 2x2! It would be
about half than at 1x1 binning. I'd be totally lost trying to process
your images.

Rick

Old April 23rd 07, 07:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
David Cash[_2_]

Hi Stefan,

Nice images even though you have some moonlight interference etc.
Plenty of detail visible.

Regards
David Cash

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
This is from the same poor night as NGC 5395. The background count for 5
minute exposures was between 16000 and 18000, in a good night it is about
12000 and in very good nights it can go under 10000. A decent country sky
(mag 6) by comparison has a background of about 1200 (or about a tenth of
what I get in a decent night in the city).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 33x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/3583-33x5gut.jpg

Stefan

[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 April 12th 07 01:05 AM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 May 3rd 06 12:33 PM
[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Contents (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (0/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 October 6th 05 02:34 AM
Daily 3583 [email protected] Hubble 0 April 2nd 04 09:22 PM
Daily 3577 [email protected] Hubble 0 March 25th 04 10:56 PM