ASTRO: McNaught

Old January 13th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Josef Büchsenmeister

Default ASTRO: McNaught

From Austria!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Komet McNaught2.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	343
Old January 13th 07, 11:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Phil[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:28:33 +0100, Josef Büchsenmeister wrote:

From Austria!

Nice.
Hear it is now visible in daylight even with the naked eye.
Phil
Old January 14th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Phil wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:28:33 +0100, Josef Büchsenmeister wrote:

From Austria!

Nice.
Hear it is now visible in daylight even with the naked eye.
Phil

One of our club members used his computer scope to find the comet then
sighted along the tube and saw it naked eye. Then slewed to Venus and
did the same. He couldn't find either without the scope to site along.
He decided it was equal to Venus. He saw no tail.

Back in 1965 I saw Ikeya Seki when it was a few hours before its
perihelion position. I used a 15 story building to hide the sun and
there, a fraction of a solar diameter from the sun, was the comet and a
short tail but it was parallel to the sun rather than pointing away from
it. Apparently it was moving so fast the tail had to time to stream
behind even though the individual particles were moving straight out
from the sun. It was moving that fast. In the 10 minutes I followed it
it showed considerable movement. I couldn't follow any longer as that
put me into a major street and I wanted to live to see another comet.
My only optical aid was a black pea-shooter that limited my field of
view and gave a rather dark side giving the illusion of helping
contrast. Not sure if it really did or not. Amazingly, a cop didn't
get curious. I usually attract them.

Rick

Old January 15th 07, 01:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Johnny Borborigmi

On 2007-01-13 17:28:33 -0500, "Josef Büchsenmeister"
said:

From Austria!

GREAT shot! thanks!