ASTRO: NGC 772

Old December 23rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 772

I only had three nights of imaging in the last three months, so with more
bad weather to come this will be my last image for this year (unless I
happen to find some other unprocessed stuff on my harddisk ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 27x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/772-27x5gut.jpg

I recently saw a very good image of this galaxy in a german astro-board (by
Radek Chromik) which you might want to take a look at (the number of
galaxies visible is incredible):
http://aida.astronomie.info/displayi...756&fullsize=1

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	772-27x5gut.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	248
Old December 23rd 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

yours is a nice image Stefan

I recently saw a collection of images by Chromik and was impressed. his
0.5meter classical cassegrain is working great. I dare say his stars look
better to me than any RC I have seen.

Old December 23rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I don't recall seeing that one before, interesting. You have several
faint fuzzies in your image as well. Considering your skies it compares
quite well to the 20" scope's shot. Wish I had his seeing!

I took Abell 400 the other night, when I was trying M77 nearby. But
clouds killed it as well. Need to see if I can salvage anything.
Should have a good galaxy count if I can.

Think I've got some processing procrastination disease of late. When
the data just doesn't meet your expectations you don't feel like working
on it yet it often, not always, surprises me.

Rick

Old December 23rd 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

Richard,

You obviously have something against RC's, but I doubt it has anything to do
with the image quality produced by them. There is a guy in my astronomy
club who fancies himself to be an astrophotographer who rails against RC's
too, but I know it's just because he can't afford one of his own.

Jon Christensen

news

Old December 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 27x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/772-27x5gut.jpg

Great image Stefan! That sure is an interesting field.

Here's a link to several old images I took of this galaxy with two
supernovae at the same time: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n772.htm

I recently saw a very good image of this galaxy in a german astro-board
(by
Radek Chromik) which you might want to take a look at (the number of
galaxies visible is incredible):
http://aida.astronomie.info/displayi...756&fullsize=1

Super image!!

George N

Old December 24th 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

actually it has everything to do with the ratio of performance to price Jon.
If you think there's another agenda at play please state it overtly instead
of making an underhanded comment like you did that challenges my integrity.

for a given level of figuring effort you will have a better figured optic
with a classical cassegrain than an RC. That is a fact.

Philipp Keller has a pretty carefully considered opinion on RCs versus CCs
on his website:

http://www.astrooptik.com/Komplettgeraete/Cassf9_e.htm

Roland Christen of AP fame has spoken to these figuring tradeoffs to with
the same comments I have made

James Mulherin of Optical mechanics has also expressed the same opinion
about the difficulty of figuring and the bang for the buck.

Optical engineering is about optimizing performance for a given price.
That's always my perspective on any comments that I make. Be it greedy
vendors overcharging for their products or vendors making promises that are
not met by their products: my numerous criticisms are all based on
price/performance optimization.

To assert that my opinions have anything to do with facts is dissapointing
to hear from you Jon. I had you pinned as a more fair-minded person than one
I would have expected such a comment to come from.

..

Old December 24th 06, 02:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

[...]

Sorry that should be in the negative; to say that my opinions are based on
anything other than the facts is dissappointing to hear from you Jon. That's
the sort of things I expect from vendors that are enjoying raping and
pillaging the masses when they don't like hearing what I have to say about
their little gig. That's not something I'd expect to hear from you.

Old December 24th 06, 07:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

Usually it's enjoyable to look at your fine pictures and engage in the usual
discourse in this group but you have a nasty habit of putting down people's
equipment usually in a round about way even if it doesn't seem obvious to
you. It's very annoying.

Jon Christensen

. ..