ASTRO: NGC 147

Old November 24th 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson

Default ASTRO: NGC 147

Finally a clear night. This one was fainter than I expected. Could
have used more time. Still, I think some of the graininess is real
rather than just noise. Must not be much dust in this guy with two
other background galaxies shining through it.

14" LX200R @ f/10, 6x5 min binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc147_6X5.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	150
Old November 26th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Finally a clear night........

I'm sure that they happen somewhere in the world sometime!

Here in New York we are working on the rainest year ever recorded with two
major floods and litterly thousands of homes destroyed. There's not been too
many nights for observing in 2006!

This one was fainter than I expected. Could
have used more time. Still, I think some of the graininess is real
rather than just noise. Must not be much dust in this guy with two
other background galaxies shining through it.

This dwarf elliptical (satellite of M-31) is really low mass and small.
However you can see one patch of dust in your image. At only 2.2 million
light years a long exposure with your C-14 should resolve the brighter stars
(red giants) in this galaxy, so I believe that "the graininess" in your
image is real!!

My image of this galaxy is 10 years old and goes back to my ST-6 days. I'll
have to put it on my "re-do" list.

George N