Any Emission Nebula in Spring?

Old March 10th 04, 02:03 AM
Dennis Persyk

Default Any Emission Nebula in Spring?

Just as I develop a bit of proficiency in imaging with H-alpha, I run
out of targets! My clear nights seem to be the ones with a bright
moon, but I outfox the moon with my trusty H-a filter. Ha – take
that, Moon.

But now, to my dismay, I cannot locate any emission nebulae positioned
for imaging with H-a. I am looking for medium size targets that fit
well into a 40 arc minute FOV. Right ascension values between say 7
hours and 15 hours and declination higher than about minus 10
degrees. I have exhausted Orion and just finished IC 468 in Canis
Major.

All that sky and no emission nebulae – not fair. Anyone got any
suggestions?

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL

New Images http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
Old March 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Richard Crisp

"Dennis Persyk" wrote in message
om...
Just as I develop a bit of proficiency in imaging with H-alpha, I run
out of targets! My clear nights seem to be the ones with a bright
moon, but I outfox the moon with my trusty H-a filter. Ha - take
that, Moon.

But now, to my dismay, I cannot locate any emission nebulae positioned
for imaging with H-a. I am looking for medium size targets that fit
well into a 40 arc minute FOV. Right ascension values between say 7
hours and 15 hours and declination higher than about minus 10
degrees. I have exhausted Orion and just finished IC 468 in Canis
Major.

All that sky and no emission nebulae - not fair. Anyone got any
suggestions?

OK, how about the Rosette, IC405 area? Gum 1 and The Cone? Thor's Helmet?

Then there's m16 in the wee hours of the morning. You can get M57 in the
early morning too.

How about some of the larger planetaries? PK164+31.1 is a good choice.

Then there are a lot of spiral galaxies with significant HII regions in
them. Why not try for some of them? You can do LHaRGB pretty well.