ASTRO: NGC 3319

Old March 19th 14, 09:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 3319

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3319colourgut.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	5031
Old March 20th 14, 06:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

You managed to get more of it than I'd have expected from a major town
like Berlin even without moonlight and haze. I don't even try with the
moon out. Is it darker than most similar towns? I'd think any effects
from the divided era would have vanished by now. Anyway it came out
quite well though all that time had to help significantly.

Rick

On 3/19/2014 4:18 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
What to do in a hazy night where the half moon high in the sky makes the
city sky even brighter than usual?
Image a really faint galaxy Zwinkerndes Smiley
That’s what I did in the nights from the 8th and 9th of March.
I used 2x2 binning to get as much light as possible. The funny thing is
that I had less problems with gradients than usual, seems like moon
gradients are easier to remove than gradients from artificial light
pollution.
Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10” Meade ACF at 2060mm focal
length on a G11 mount, Trius SX694 camera, 57x5m L, 28x5m RGB each.
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp9/3319colourgut.jpg
Stefan

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net
Old March 21st 14, 09:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

with "only" a bit short of 4 million inhabitants Berlin is significantly
smaller than Paris or London.
I once read somewhere that the sky in Paris is twice as bright as in Berlin.
SQM-L value in moonless nights is usually 18.7 near zenith, much worse near
horizon.
The best description I can give is that never, not even in the best nights,
the milky way can be seen here, not even a hint of it.
The "funny" thing about light pollution here is that it doesn't really help
to live in the outer parts of Berlin. As I mentioned I get SQM-L 18.7 from
the central part of Berlin while I measured 19.2 from the garden of a friend
of mine who images from the very limit of the city. Of course there are
smaller towns bordering to Berlin, but still you would expect a much larger
improvement than just 0.5 mag between town center and outskirts.
Some 50 kilometers south of Berlin I can get SQM-L 21.6, which is the same
as in Namibia. Still the sky in Namibia is much better, the SQM-L only tells
one half of the story (sky brightness), not the other half (transparency).

Stefan