ASTRO: Arp 109 The real one this time

Old October 23rd 12, 09:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 109 The real one this time

Arp 109 is in Arp's class for "E and E-like galaxies repelling spiral
arms", a class that never has made sense to me. If it has spiral arms
isn't it a spiral galaxy? What is a "repelling spiral arm?" In any
case it includes two galaxies, one a true elliptical to the east and a
very strange disturbed spiral to the west. It seems to have two plumes
both curving to the west. Were these plumes created by interaction with
its large companion? The companion shows no sign of distortion. Could
the outer plume be due to the remains of a small galaxy the western
member is digesting? I found nothing to help with this issue.

The pair are about a half billion light-years away in the constellation
of Draco, just below the bowl of the little dipper. The pair have
almost identical redshifts so it's highly likely they are really about
this close to each other as they appear to be. The eastern member is
classed as E:. The western member is classed as S?. The pair are UGC
10053 and VV291. The VV says of them: "Hard core 0.15 x 0.15 surrounded
by thin bright spiral arc, 2 diffuse spiral
arcs is unequal bending in northwest". The CGPG says: ""Irregular blue
spiral, compact elliptical core, two spiral arms to the west". The VV
does say it has been probably perturbed by the companion. Arp had no
comment on this one.

The rest of the field for which redshift information is available is
rather sparse, with only 5 in NED. To the west is a galaxy from the
2MASS catalog, 2MASX J15462424+6929102 and also at a half billion
light-years so probably related to the pair in Arp 109. The others are
all closer to us. MCG +12-15-020, a lensticular galaxy at about 350
million light-years is to the southeast. Further south is IC 1146 at a
redshift 360 million light-years. Likely the two are related. NED
shows no classification for it. Looks like Sa to me. Near the top is
CGCG 338-022 at nearly 460 million light-years. NED classes it as
spherical. Looks like a disk galaxy to me with a hint of a bar and an
arm. The remaining galaxy is IC 1147 to the far east and a bit north.
It is quite red for a barred spiral though NED makes no attempt to
classify it for some reason. It is listed at about 470 million light
years so about the same distance as CGCG 338-022.

I was going to be moving into October 2011 images but then found this
one that was even older. This data was taken in May 2010 and somehow
misfiled in the fully processed Arp directory rather than the one for
those awaiting processing. Nor was it added to my to process list so it
was never processed. I accidentally came across it and added it to my
processing queue. I now have to go back through that directory's 776
objects processed since 2007 to see if there are others that got
misfiled there as well. Since it wasn't on my to process list finishing
it doesn't shorten the to process list. Hurts when processing a new
image doesn't take one off that long list.

Arp's image is at:
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/A...ig_arp109.jpeg

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP109L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	4327  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP109L4X10RGB2X10-ID.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	4328  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP109L4X10RGB2X10CROP150R.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	4329
Old October 24th 12, 01:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I see now it got lost twice. I took it twice and lost both version.
Found one and sent it a few weeks back. Then, with memory chips
failing, I found the second version which I processed and just posted.
Amazing dumbth on my part. Sorry for the inadvertent duplication.

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

any real time astro chat sites? Mike Thomas[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 August 1st 08 06:43 AM
discovery down real time [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 August 19th 07 09:48 AM
The Real Bible Code - Decoding in Real Time [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 April 28th 06 03:40 PM
real time sky ? JimZ Amateur Astronomy 9 February 28th 04 01:26 PM
ANN: Win SkyTools 2 plus Real Time Greg Crinklaw Amateur Astronomy 0 January 21st 04 11:02 PM