ASTRO: Bright Lights and the Big Dipper

Old June 17th 12, 12:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jim wilson

Default ASTRO: Bright Lights and the Big Dipper

Aurora from west of Calgary. 6-17-2012
jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Dipper1 w1k crop.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	4143
Old June 17th 12, 08:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 6/17/2012 6:07 AM, jim wilson wrote:
Aurora from west of Calgary. 6-17-2012
jim

That explains it! I was imaging high last night and my background was 4
times normal. I looked up but didn't see anything other than what I
took to be very high thin clouds. Checked Spaceweather.com and they
showed nothing unusual. Later I was shooting further south and sky was
normal. You're picture explains it. My eyes are nearing the end of
their 7th decade and don't adjust to the dark as fast as they used to.
Should have waited longer!

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net
Old June 17th 12, 09:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jim wilson

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/17/2012 6:07 AM, jim wilson wrote:
Aurora from west of Calgary. 6-17-2012
jim

That explains it! I was imaging high last night and my background was 4
times normal. I looked up but didn't see anything other than what I took
to be very high thin clouds. Checked Spaceweather.com and they showed
nothing unusual. Later I was shooting further south and sky was normal.
You're picture explains it. My eyes are nearing the end of their 7th
decade and don't adjust to the dark as fast as they used to. Should have
waited longer!

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Lots of pictures taken from the northern states last night. Mine shows the
dull end of the aurora in order to include the Dipper, it was much brighter
to the right (north) of this one, in fact about as bright as I have seen
here and over a large area as well-once the overcast moved off at 2 am
..
jim
Just inside decade #6

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurora 2 w1k.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	4144
Old June 19th 12, 10:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Jim,

at least one advantage of living so far north...
Actually I have never seen northern lights in spite of living one degree
north of Calgary (Berlin to be precise ;-)

Stefan