ASTRO: UGC 4332 in Cancer Cluster

Old January 20th 12, 09:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: UGC 4332 in Cancer Cluster

The Cancer Galaxy Cluster is far larger than my field of view. It is
about 220 million light-years distant and in the constellation of Cancer
of course. I chose to center on NGC 2563 a large S0 galaxy. The
annotated image shows the redshift distances to major galaxies in the
cluster which are obviously altered by the relative motion of the about
the cluster's center of gravity. The cluster contains some 100 galaxies
according to NED but no angular size is given. Suffice to say it is
quite a bit larger than my image.

While I centered on NGC 2563 my main target was UGC 4332 to its right.
NED classes it as SAdm and puts its distance in line with it being a
Cancer Cluster member. The m indicating something is odd about this
one. It sure is. UGC 4332 is one strange galaxy. At one time it was
considered a polar ring galaxy but most now say that's not a sure thing
today.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/f66u183818771544/

The dust lane is very strange cutting across the edge of one spiral arm.
My first impression was this is two near edge on galaxies one
superimposed over the other. The closer having an intense dust lane.
The upper right part being the closer galaxy with a low surface
brightness but dense dust lane while the lower and main arms belong to
the more distant one. I found no one suggesting this however.

The Sloan image seems to show a second, much fainter, dust lane above
and parallel to the first. The densest part of it is seen in my image
as well. Could this be the dust lane going around to the other side of
the faint but dusty galaxy? OK I'm hung up on this being two galaxies
rather than one. I did find one amateur (name unknown) who suggests it
might be a spiral superimposed over an elliptical. That doesn't explain
the tilted dust lane in relation to the plane of the disk. Is it
possibly three galaxies, an elliptical and low dust edge on about to
merge but still rather undistorted and a foreground super dusty but
faint galaxy? In any case it sure looks strange. A dust band not in
the plane of the disk is difficult to explain. Yet I find few are trying.

There was a very blue, small, distorted galaxy northeast of NGC 2563. I
was disappointed to find it wasn't in NED though immediately west of it
was a far fainter star-like galaxy that was cataloged. Again a very
blue galaxy is somehow overlooked. This is a common event I'm finding.
Wish I knew why. It is noted with a question mark and line to the
blue galaxy. If I had put the label immediately right as I normally do
it would have covered the star-like galaxy that was cataloged.

GMBCG J124.81813+21.03969 is a galaxy cluster at 3.6 billion light-years
toward the right center of my image. It is labeled G/GC 3.6. The
probable anchor galaxy has the same coordinates as the cluster. It is
faint at 21st magnitude as my image doesn't go as deep as normal due to
a thick haze that night. The galaxy is SDSS J081916.35+210222.8. The
cluster is small with only 9 members.

The lone asteroid is 5009 Sethos. It's naming citation reads:
"Named after the Egyptian pharaoh Sethos I (reigned 1304-1290 B.C.) of
the 19th dynasty. His father was Ramses I, who reigned for only two
years. Sethos I built the Great Hall of Columns of the Amun temple in
Karnak and the Osiris temple at Abydos. Sethos I was the father of
Ramses II."

The annotated image shows catalog names for all objects with redshift
data and are under 300 million light years distant. Those over this I
didn't consider true cluster members and indicated them only by their
distance. I was rather surprised to find no quasars in the field though
one is just outside the field to the east.

This image was taken automatically right after the NGC 974 image. That
one lost both blue frames due to clouds and haze. This one had a
similar problem with the red frames. Since red light doesn't scatter as
bad as blue it was sort of usable. Still faint red was totally lost
with the red limiting magnitude a good 1.5 magnitudes brighter than that
of blue and green. Thus the dust lane of UGC 4332 is black for the most
part rather than red as the Sloan image indicates it should be. That
also means the outer, faint parts of the galaxies also likely lack red
they should have. Another for the retake list.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC4332L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	3914  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC4332L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	3915  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC4332L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP150.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	3916
Old January 20th 12, 09:59 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I forgot the Sloan Survey image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson[_2_] View Post

Name:	SDSS_UGC4332.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	3917
Old February 6th 12, 08:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

UGC 4332 really makes this a joy to watch. I never seem to get such sharp
dark lanes...

Stefan

. com...