ASTRO: NGC 7497 in "bright" IFN Correct image this time

Old September 10th 11, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 7497 in "bright" IFN Correct image this time

NGC 7497 is a galaxy about 60 million light years distant set in the
Integrated Flux Nebula in Pegasus. The IFN, also known as Galactic
Cirrus is dust far out of the plane of our galaxy caused to fluoresce by
the ultraviolet light of super hot stars in our galaxy's disk. The
galaxy, of course lies some 60 million light years beyond our galaxy and
its IFN. It is classed by the NGC project as an Sc galaxy, as an SB(s)c
galaxy by de Vaucoulers and as SB(s)d by NED. I'm not seeing it as a
barred spiral though it appears I'm out voted.

The bright blue piece of IFN at the far upper left below a very bright
star seems bright enough to have made it into a catalog but Simbad has
nothing at that position.

There is little on this field. The blue oval smudge of a galaxy
southeast of NGC 7497 is NPM1G +17.0731. The blue smudge west southwest
of NGC 7497 is MCG +03-59-001/PGC 070552. The bright blue spiral
northeast of NGC 7497 is another bright but anonymous galaxy in NED. I
keep running into these. Seems no one it catalogs has found it
interesting enough to even list as an anonymous galaxy.

Only 4 other galaxies in my image are listed in NED. All small and
insignificant, at least from my point of view. I see no difference in
them than many others not listed. All 4 are from the 2 micron survey so
interesting as bright at that wavelength as likely star factories.

This image was taken over two nights. An asteroid from each night shows
in the image. The one from the first night, (247103) 2000 SL317 is NE
of NGC 7497, two thirds of the way to the anonymous blue spiral and is
moving only in R.A. It was just out of the frame to the west the second
night. The other asteroid, 2010 JH161, is about 3.6 minutes west
(right) of the core of NGC 7497 and moving down at to the right at a 45
degree angle. It's trail starts near a slightly orange star. It was
out of frame to the upper left the first night Comparing the two trails
you can tell seeing was a bit better the second night. Both are about
19.5 magnitude.

A blue star at the bottom of the image and a red one at the top hit
right on the edge of the chip. When I moved either way to avoid this
something put a horrid set of reflections into the image. Only solution
was to leave these stars right on the edge where they glared into the
image. I could have cloned them out but the blue one was in the IFN and
impossible to clone out without distorting the IFN so I decided to leave
both in. I did tone them down significantly. Yes they were far worse!
I discovered the reflection issue a year after I'd taken it and was
just now putting it together. No way to remove it as it hit in the IFN.
So I completely redid the image September 3 and 5 of this year.
Finally I'm posting a current image.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=8x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7497L8X10RGB2X10X3R.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	3726
Old September 10th 11, 11:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I got an email almost immediately saying there's some chroma noise and
the galaxy needs to stand out more. I agree with the chroma noise. Not
sure about needing to make the galaxy stand out more. Though the galaxy
is really much brighter compared to the IFN than a computer monitor can
begin to display. Problem is the edges of the galaxy fade into the IFN
and I have no idea where one ends and the other begins, especially on
the southeast side.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7497L8X10RGB2X10X3R1.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	3727
Old September 12th 11, 02:31 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Still toying with this one. Needs more time but for now I did some noise control. In some ways I prefer the reduced image.

I find users of Firefox 3.x see lines not seen in Firefox 6 or most other modern browsers. Seems to be a decode shortcut Firefox 3.x and Thunderbird 3.x took. If you see them save the file and display in an image viewing program.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson[_2_] View Post
I got an email almost immediately saying there's some chroma noise and
the galaxy needs to stand out more. I agree with the chroma noise. Not
sure about needing to make the galaxy stand out more. Though the galaxy
is really much brighter compared to the IFN than a computer monitor can
begin to display. Problem is the edges of the galaxy fade into the IFN
and I have no idea where one ends and the other begins, especially on
the southeast side.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7497L8X10RGB2X10X3R2crop67.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	3729

Last edited by WA0CKY : September 12th 11 at 02:50 AM.
Old September 12th 11, 02:52 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
[...]

Name:	NGC7497L8X10RGB2X10X3R2a.JPG
Views:	1733
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	3731  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7497L8X10RGB2X10X3R2a67.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	3732
Old September 18th 11, 08:18 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Several have contacted me questioning if this was IFN or some reflection inside our galaxy rather than IFN well outside our galaxy but lit by the integrated light of the galaxies UV stars. It does look more like clouds within our galaxy but is an area known for IFN. I received this update from Sakib Rasool.

"The dust around it is part of a high latitude molecular cloud called MBM 54, more or less integrated flux.

The MBM catalogue is a listing of 57 high latitude translucent clouds published in 1985 by Loris Magnani,

Leo Blitz and Lee Mundy.

I have attached a pseudo colour DSS image of MBM 54.

Best regards
Sakib"

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR-mbm54.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	664.0 KB
ID:	3748
Old September 25th 11, 11:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's quite spectacular. I have imaged this galaxy but had no clue about
the nebula in the background.

Stefan

. com...

Old September 26th 11, 06:12 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I saw it faintly on the POSS 2 plates before I imaged it so knew it was there. But it surprised me how bright it was. It was very evident in the raw data as it came in. Usually IFN stuff doesn't show until calibrated but most of what you see in my image was quite obvious. I was more than a little shocked to see how bright it was. Though "bright" is a relative term. I'm not surprised it was below your Berlin light dome level.

First data though had a super bright area which turned out to be a reflection that looked a bit like a fuzzy version of the McDonald's arches logo to the east of the galaxy. I had to retake it with a framing I didn't prefer but nothing got rid of the reflection without adjusting the framing further than I'd have liked. I can't figure out what was causing it. No star seems bright enough in a position to do it. I've seen this type of reflection before and never have traced it down. Move the image three or four minutes and it is gone completely. Weird.

From your darker site I bet you can pick up at least the brighter parts of the foreground nebula.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post

Old September 27th 11, 04:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Second try as the first never made it to my own Usenet Server.

[...]

From your darker site I bet you can pick up at least the brighter parts
of the foreground nebula.

Rick

On 9/25/2011 5:09 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick,

that's quite spectacular. I have imaged this galaxy but had no clue about
the nebula in the background.

Stefan

. com...