ASTRO: Arp 11

Old August 24th 10, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 11

Arp 11 falls under his category: Spiral Galaxies: Split Arm. It is
located in eastern Pisces not far from M74. It and the galaxy to its
north east (upper left) have a red shift that puts them a half billion
light years away. Arp 11 is cataloged as UGC 00717, a SBb spiral. Its
companion to the northeast that it is likely interacting with is UGC
00719 also classed as SBb though not as distorted. Arp makes the
comment about UGC 00717; "Outer arms do not start at termination of
bar." I guess that depends on how you define the arms. To me they do
come from the bar, make a 180 degree arc coming close to the end of the
opposite bar then being flung off wildly at a different angle. The same
could be said for its companion UGC 00719.

There are quite a few other galaxies in the immediate area. Only one,
MCG +02-04-004 to the southeast of Arp 11 and closer to it than UGC
00719, has a red shift given. It apparently is not part of the group as
it appears to be nearly 800 million light years distant, 60% further
than the other two. The galaxy just below UGC 00719 is 2MASX
J01092954+1421169.

Further out there are galaxies with known redshifts. There is a distant
21st magnitude galaxy best seen in the enlarged cropped image that is
4.2 billion light years distant. It is southwest of Arp 11 and
identified in the annotated image which gives the distances to galaxies
with a known red shift based on 5 year WMAP data at NED. In the
annotated image G preceding the distance is for galaxy while GC is for
galaxy cluster and Q for quasar. The label is immediatly right of the
object. When not possible or identification could be confusing a line
is drawn to the object

I found three quasars in this image. But one is closer than some
galaxies in the image and has a physical size indicating I'm seeing the
galaxy itself not just the quasar. Its FWHM is a good two seconds
larger than that of the stars on either side of it. A quasar should be
a point source. The other two fit the classic quasar. The classic
blue color is obvious as well. Both are near the western (right) edge,
one at the top the other near the bottom.

The annotated image shows that while Arp 11 and its companion are at
about a half million light years they are surrounded by a group of
galaxies with a distance of 780 million light years. This is the galaxy
cluster SDSS-C4 2083 which NED lists as having 28 members. It is
anchored by the large elliptical galaxy 2MASX J01092719+1415359 which is
only one second of arc from the center of the cluster. So I've combined
it with the cluster center in the annotated image even though its red
shift puts it 20 million light years more distant than the cluster
itself. This is well within expected variations in a galaxy cluster of
this size. This happens twice in this field. Over near the eastern
edge is the cluster SDSS-C4 2087 listed at 769 million light years that
shares the same position (within one second of arc or one pixel) with
the galaxy SDSS J011021.37+141642.2 listed at 713 million light years.
This is an even larger discrepency. No galaxy count is listed for this
cluster. It seems to me this is just an extension of the first cluster.

To the right of Arp 11 is another odd galaxy. It appears to be much
further away if size is any indication. It is 4.3 minutes nearly due
west of Arp 11 and seems to have a tail on its east end that curves
northward. With no distance data I have no idea what it interacted with
to create its odd tail. Seems worthy of including in Arp's catalog if
he had noticed it but it's outside his image's field. I've included an
extreme enlargement of the Sloan survey image of this strange galaxy,
SDSS J010905.21+142021.6. Right "beside" it is the Ultraviolet Excess
Source SDSS J010904.69+142014.6, a quasar candidate at 10.1 billion
light years.

There are 3 asteroids in the image. The big and bright one is 13th
magnitude Alemannia to the lower left of Arp 11. The other two are to
the upper right near the top of the image. At magnitude 19.6 (230452)
2002 RF17 may be a bit hard to find. It is labeled in the annotated
image. Immediately above it is the very oddly designated (42379) 2013
P-L. It is magnitude 18.2 so easy to spot. It has a designation that
was new to me. When not named the designation is normally the year of
discovery followed by a letter that denotes when in that year it was
found. A means the first half of January, B the second half etc. I is
not used. The second letter denotes when in the half month it was
found. First found in January of this year would be 2010 AA, Second AB,
again I is skipped. Once 25 are found then a number is used so after AZ
comes AA1, AB1, AC1... through to AZ1 then AA2, AB2 etc. Hence the
designation of asteroid 42379 made no sense to me. It was found in 1960
not 3 years in the future. If that was a name then that would be fine
but the minor planet center doesn't show it as being named. It does
show it used to be known as 1986 QH. But then the designation changed
to 1999 RU119 before it became 2013 P-L. I had to find out more about
the 1960 discovery to solve this one. Turns out there was a 1960 survey
to find asteroids known as the Palomar-Leiden survey. This one was the
2013th found in that survey. It was then found to be the same as the
other two asteroids and the survey designation replaced both with the
orbit better defined by the later observations. One mystery solved.
Old hat to asteroid hunters but new to me. There are three other
survey's used to designate asteroids, the First, Second and Third Trojan
Surveys T-1, T-2 and T-3. I've not run across any from those surveys as
yet.

Arp's image is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp11.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP11L4X10RG1X20X3B2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	3097  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP11L4X10RG1X20X3B2X10X3R1-150CROP.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	3098  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP11L4X10RG1X20X3B2X10X3R1-ID.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	3099  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS_Arp11.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	3100  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS J010905.21+142021.6.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	3101

Old August 25th 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

great detail in these small galaxies. I always wonder how you do this with
the moderate exposure times you use. I would need much longer times even
under dark skies. I guess binning 2x2 helps...

Stefan

. com...

Old August 25th 10, 10:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I see I forgot the exposure data:

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RG=1x20'x3 B=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

I can't recall now why the blue was 2 10 minute images while red and
green were 1 20 minute image. Probably by accident. Think I forgot to
fully edit the script file I used that image. I probably meant to use 1
20 minute but didn't get that part of the script file changed.

Rick