ASTRO: Arp 86

Old June 30th 10, 07:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 86

Arp 86 is a pair of interacting galaxies in Pegasus, just north of the
Great Square. It is about 220 million light years distant. To appear
this large at that distance means it is a very large spiral galaxy. Arp
put it in his class; "Spiral Galaxies with Companions on Arms: Large
High Surface Brightness Companions. The companion certainly has a high
surface brightness. I had to process it separately to prevent it from
burning in as I stretched the image.

Arp's comment on this entry was: "Double arm leading to companion." This
shows better in his image than mine. Probably due to his blue emulsion
picking out new, massive stars that define arms and ignores older,
smaller stars as shown by how dimly he picked up the core of the galaxy
which is quite red and the seeing atop Palomar mountain being better
than I have atop my little hill above the lake. Where are those laminar
air flow mountains when you need them in this state?

The big spiral is NGC 7753 which is classed as SAB(rs)bc. The companion
is NGC 7752 which is classed is I0? with strong HII emission lines. It
seems to contain three main clumps arranged randomly. Notes at NED
can't agree on it. One says; "This is a blue galaxy as indicated by the
color profiles." But another says; "Compact elliptical red object
which, with the spiral galaxy NGC 7753, constitutes an M51-type system."
So is it red or blue. It is rather white in my image with some hint
of red at the west end. I'm wondering if the HII emission features are
causing this discrepancy. Another avoids the issue saying; "Very small
and bright. Peculiar." No one would argue that.

The rest of the field is little studied. The Sloan survey didn't
include this area of the sky. A few distant red galaxies are in the
field. Most are found in the 2MASS survey but without any distance
data. The small elliptical below NGC 7753 is 2MASX J23470758+2926531.
I find nothing on it or any other galaxy in the image.

The field appears noisy. At first I thought I'd done something very
wrong in my processing or else there were thick clouds in the area I
didn't know were around. But after deeply stretching the POSS II plates
I saw this was due to the Integrated Flux Nebula being weakly in the
field. I found few images of this one on the net and none, even one by
Adam Block then at Kitt Peak show it that I found. If I'd have realized
it was there I'd have put more time into it to better bring out the IFN.
There's always next time.

I've included a 1.5x enlarged cropped version as well as the full image
at native image scale of 1" per pixel.

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp86.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP86L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	2993  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP86L4X10RGB2X10X3-CROP150.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	2994
Old June 30th 10, 10:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

amazing scale on this small galaxy. I have imaged it once but it looks tiny
in that image. I like this pair as it is sort of a "baby" version of M51.

Stefan

. com...

Old July 1st 10, 12:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

. com...

Wow, that's a beauty. Thanks, Rick.

George

Old July 1st 10, 03:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Rick -

Excellent image as usual - my attempt of this group was degraded by
bad seeing - on my reshoot list.

Here is the abstract from the most recent posted study of this group,
note that the 2MASX galaxy isthought to be part of the group --

"We present the results of Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT)
observations of the interacting system Arp86 in both neutral atomic
hydrogen, HI, and in radio continuum at 240606 and 1394 MHz. In
addition to HI emission from the two dominant galaxies, NGC 7752 and
NGC 7753, these observations show a complex distribution of HI tails
and bridges due to tidal interactions. The regions of highest column
density appear related to the recent sites of intense star formation.
HI column densities ~1-1.5 × 1021cm-2 have been detected in the tidal
bridge which is bright in Spitzer image as well. We also detect HI
emission from the galaxy 2MASX J23470758+2926531, which is shown to be
a part of this system. We discuss the possibility that this could be a
tidal dwarf galaxy. The radio continuum observations show evidence of
a non-thermal bridge between NGC 7752 and NGC 7753, and a radio source
in the nuclear region of NGC 7753 consistent with it having a
low-ionization nuclear emission region nucleus. " ) Sengyota, et.al.,
2009). http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009MNRAS.397..548S

Some galactic dust in that region, the extinction factor for 7753 is
0.3058 Magnitude and dust temperatures are quite high.