ASTRO: color rosette from 39mp camera

Old March 23rd 10, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: color rosette from 39mp camera

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._hao3_page.htm

I added 5 hours of [OIII] data to the 3.5 hours of Halpha from the previous
weekend

I figure this 8.5 hours total is about equivalent to 4.25 hours of a
KAI1000M (22% QE versus about 45%)

on the other hand the sensor area is slightly more than 2x the area so it is
slightly faster to do it with the 39MP than using a mosaic of the 11K,
certainly less trouble and you get more pixels to slow down your computer
when you process the data.

The new inexpensive 1.5 and 2 TB USB drives are your friend when using
these cameras

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosette_ap155_7_pl39km_fli_rsrch_hao3_34x15min_svga.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2864
Old March 23rd 10, 06:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._hao3_page.htm

I added 5 hours of [OIII] data to the 3.5 hours of Halpha from the previous
weekend

I figure this 8.5 hours total is about equivalent to 4.25 hours of a
KAI1000M (22% QE versus about 45%)

on the other hand the sensor area is slightly more than 2x the area so it is
slightly faster to do it with the 39MP than using a mosaic of the 11K,
certainly less trouble and you get more pixels to slow down your computer
when you process the data.

The new inexpensive 1.5 and 2 TB USB drives are your friend when using
these cameras

Pixel size is a good match to the scope. Don't think I have the
patience for putting that much time in an image. I have far too many
things I want to image still on my to-do list.

I expect you need a 64 bit OS and at least 8 gig of memory to have much
of a chance of processing these files. I rarely run full 11 meg as my
32 bit 3 gig machine chokes on them as it is. CPU speed or cores isn't
the issue, its the lack of memory and constant swap file usage that
kills me.

Backing up all that data has to eat some time as well.

Rick

Old March 23rd 10, 07:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...
Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

the past three days I have been backing up data

it takes a long time to copy over a bunch of FIT files to fill up a 2TB
drive

It looks like I will need two of those drives....