ASTRO: Arp 126

Old October 25th 09, 01:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 126

Arp 126 is an interacting galaxy pair also known as UGC 1449. The pair
are about 240 million light-years distant. The northern galaxy of the
pair is classed as SBm pec while the lower as simply SBm. Arp included
the pair under Elliptical and Elliptical-like Galaxies: close to and
perturbing spirals. Arp made no notes in his catalog about this pair nor
can I find much on it in the current literature.

There's a galaxy cluster NSCS J015907+031804 at about 4 billion light
years just beyond the upper left corner. I suspect the orange galaxies
seen in that corner around the 3 bright stars
are likely members of the cluster.

Other than that there's little information on the rest of the field.
Though researching the galaxy pair I found a house for sale at 126 Arp
Avenue in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I wonder how dark and steady the skies are
there?

Blue galaxy to the upper left UGC 1454, a SBm barred spiral at about 150
million light-years.

These are located in Pisces. I took this image December of last year and
processed it in March but somehow lost the file on the hard drive until
I was reorganizing my Arp collection and ran across it. One benefit of
two months of cloudy weather. I wonder if there are others like it
lurking in some dark corner of my drive. It appears I started to take
it and was clouded out twice before getting any color then had a good
third try. Each was in a separate directory. I ended up combining all
usable luminosity images from the three nights. Thus, it has more data
than usual though thanks to the clouds I can't say it helped much.

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp126.jpeg
No SDSS or HST images

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=9x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP126L9X10RGB2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	2663

Old October 25th 09, 05:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Only because of its distance. Put it at say 50 million light years
which is about the maximum distance to most of the galaxies you see
imaged here and it will be 25 times total brightness and cover 25 times
the area of the monitor screen. It's rather ordinary in size but
certainly not shape due to the tidal forces involved.

When you are imaging a catalog you take what the catalog gives you.

Rick

Old October 25th 09, 08:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_4_]

You ever image ngc1023? Last week out observing I got this little guy in my
16mm nagler eyepiece. Has a good noticeable dust lane edge on, under fair
dark skies...

Old October 25th 09, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's quite an elusive object, don't think I have seen it before.
Do you have an overview how many of the Arp galaxies you already have
imaged? Looks like you already have quite a lot of them (maybe about 100?).

Stefan

. com...

Old October 26th 09, 01:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Counting is a bit difficult. There's 124 files in my completed Arp
directory. But one Arp took 3 images as it is the Leo triplet and I
can't get but one in a frame. Then there are 4 Arps in the Hercules
Galaxy cluster. So those two nearly cancel. But there are at least 3
other images with 2 Arp's in them. So say 128 in the can. Counting the
yet to process file I find 71 files. A couple are in need of reshooting
as I took many of these while I slept and never got around to checking.
I'm finding a few that were clouded out part way through. I assumed
if it was clear when I awoke it was clear all night but the lake will
fog up in the morning hours and be burned off by the time I get up. So
say about 180 taken. I'm way behind in processing.

Rick

Old October 26th 09, 01:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

That's Arp 135. I posted it last March. The pose is archived at:
http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=134866

Rick

Old October 27th 09, 12:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_4_]

nice!

--
Correct domain name is arvig and it is net not com. Prefix is
correct.