ASTRO: Arp 97

Old April 25th 09, 08:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 97

Arp 97 is classed by Arp as "Spiral galaxies with companion on arms:
elliptical galaxy companions". This double galaxy has only a single
designation UGC7085A. Oddly UGC 7085 is 22 degrees south of this pair
and in no way related. There must be an interesting story here but I
don't know it. The pair is about 330 million light years away so
getting much detail is rather difficult. The southern galaxy has two
bright arms obviously tidally extended and straightened. The north arm
extends over the northern galaxy. Its yellow color contrasting to the
blue of the overlaying arm. Note though that the lower galaxy has a
third arm running nearly due east. Well a tidal feature heads east,
sort of toward the very blue galaxy MCG+05-29-012. Its distance is 353
million light years. Close enough that it too may be involved though I
found no papers indicating this and it doesn't show any sign of
distortion. To the west is SDSS J120531.04+310434.1, another very blue
galaxy that seems to have a hole in the middle of it. I wish seeing was
better, it could be due to unresolved arms and nothing more. I can find
no red shift data for it. To the upper left of Arp 97 over half way to
the upper edge is a rather red disk galaxy. After all the blue ones it
stands out. Its red color made me wonder if it was surprisingly far
away. Since I was finding little red shift data in this area I didn't
hold out much hope but I got a pleasant surprise. It is SDSS
J120609.43+311002.8 and is 1.08 billion light years distant. It must be
one huge spiral! Between it and a very bright star to its upper right
is another very blue galaxy. It is CGO151 at about 400 million light
years, too far to be related to Arp 97.

Things get rather interesting toward the NW (upper right). There's a
quartet of rather interesting galaxies up there. The big one seen face
on is UGC 07064, an SAB(r) Seyfert galaxy. It is described as "no
spiral structure with smooth disk" by one paper I found on it. There
seems to be a nice ring around the faint bar and on the east side (left)
a faint arm seems to spiral out and around in a clockwise direction
ending at a field star. There also appears to be a tidal bulge to the
disk on the west side. It is 353 million light years distant per its
red shift the same as MCG+05-29-012 east of Arp 97. Below it is the odd
spiral CGCG 158-10 at 373 milling light years. A blue field star at its
south end makes determining what is going on here difficult but I do see
faint tidal distortions. One on the NE side going up to UGC 07064, the
other on the west side going down. North of UGC 07064 is CGCG 158-011 A
pair of galaxies. They appear to be interacting but I can find no red
shift data on them so can't tell if they are related to either each
other or the other two galaxies.

I moved Arp 97 east from center to include these 4 galaxies in the full
frame.

Arp's image with the 200" Hale Telescope is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp97.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version