Astro: Hanny's Voorwerp -- It isn't easy being green.

Old December 11th 08, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Hanny's Voorwerp -- It isn't easy being green.

I seem attracted to the unusual and there's not much out there more
unusual than this voorwerp. It is small and I needed a night of good
seeing. Never got that last year. I had a sort of usable night so gave
it a go. I wanted to use 1x1 binning but seeing didn't seem up to it
nor was it going to stay clear long enough. I need a lot more data at
1x1 and the sky wasn't going to allow that. So went to 2x2 binning and
then enlarged the photo 2x. Still the clouds cut me off before I could
do a second round of exposures. Since then its been snowing nearly
every day. Those days it doesn't snow it blows it all around so I can't
open the roof without a lot of it going inside. I gave up for now and
am going with this underexposed version.

It sat on my hard drive for a while until the other day when it was
announced they might have figured out where all the energy needed to
power this voorwerp was coming from. When you have a gas cloud the size
of a galaxy glowing with the energy of billions of stars yet it contains
no energy source it is a real voorwerp. With the news release I decided
to go with what I had rather than watch seeing get worse as winter
progresses (always has in the past).

A question for the Netherlands posters; How do you translate voorwerp?
Babble fish says "object". A friend of mine who spoke dutch as a kid in
her house in northwest Iowa said "thing". When I told her why I wanted
to know she said; "Then I'd translate it as 'That @#$@ing thing."
Sounds good to me. How do you pronounce it? She said her now Minnesota
accent likely was way off as she hasn't spoken the language for 50 years.

For those not up on Hanny and her voorwerp she is a high school science
teacher, Hanny van Arkel is the full name. She was participating in the
Galaxy Zoo project when this appeared on her screen. While others would
have seen it as well only Hanny got curious and inquired of those
running Galaxy Zoo what it was. That got the ball rolling and its been
gaining speed ever since.

See:
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/11...werp-revealed/
for the current best guess as to what this galaxy sized green cloud is
and where the energy to power it is coming from.

The green color is due to most of its emission being OIII and H-beta.
It also emits a lot of Lyman series (ultra-violet) light. Since the
emission comes from high energy particles rather than ultraviolet light
the high energy emissions are preferred leaving little H-alpha emission.
At least that's how I interpret this from my rather shaky 40+ year old
physics background. For more on this see:
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/research/voorwerp.html

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Two versions. Full image at 1" per pixel and crop at 0.5" per pixel
enlargement.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HANNYS-VOORWERP-L4X10RGB2X10X3-200CROP.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2276  Click image for larger version

Name:	HANNYS-VOORWERP-L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	2277
Old December 12th 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
G[_2_]

Very Weird Object....
Good Read...

ster.com...

Old December 12th 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Djings@Amsterdam

Hi Rick,

Nice image, as always....

'Voorwerp' is indeed translated as 'object'.
'Hanny's Voorwerp' is than 'Hanny's Object'
It is pronounced as 'vourwerp' with the 'e' pronounced as in the 'e' in
'bed'.

Thank you for sharing,

Very best,

Ching
Amsterdam
The Netherlands

"Rick Johnson" schreef in bericht
ster.com...

Old December 12th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Ching,
Thanks for the info! She had the pronunciation right but not the
translation.

Rick

Old December 12th 08, 08:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've heard from Galaxy Zoo and I got a few things wrong. Here's what I
was sent.

A couple of corrections - Hanny isn't a high school science teacher, she
teaches younger children. She's not a science teacher either as such,
although she's done more of that lately. She teaches more generally I'd say.
Also, the light echo idea isn't dead. The idea was always that it was a
quasar jet that had lit it up. To quote the same article you link
Quote:
"It looks as though the jet emanating from the black hole clears a path
through the dense interstellar medium of IC 2497 towards Hanny's
Voorwerp", says Garrett. "This cleared channel permits the beam of
intense optical and ultraviolet emission associated with the black hole,
to illuminate a small part of a large gas cloud that partially surrounds
the galaxy. The optical and ultraviolet emission heats and ionizes the
gas cloud, thus creating the phenomena known as Hanny's Voorwerp."
The recent radio observations are, I'd say, helping to refine the light
echo theory.
- Edd (of the Zoo)

Rick

Old December 14th 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I found this shot of Hanny being interviewed on a Netherlands's TV
station. Sterrenkundige means astronomer I'm told.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hanny-van-arkle.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2278
Old December 16th 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great picture and object Rick.
I have to admit that I have not heard of this object before your post.

Stefan

ster.com...