Astro: Galaxies in confusion; Arp 278

Old November 2nd 08, 07:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Galaxies in confusion; Arp 278

Since I'm on an Arp kick here's another pair of colliding galaxies. In
this case they only side swiped each other so no ring was formed. This
is Arp 278 or NGC 7253. It is about 185 million light years from us.
NED, my distance source seems to have a problem here. It lists the
distance to the pair as 194 million light years but the distance to each
individual one as about 185 million light years. So take your pick.
This image was also taken at 0.5" but on a better night. Also it is
higher in my sky which helps a lot as well. The asteroid leaving a
prominent trail is 2003 WS42 at magnitude 18. Note the dim spots along
the trail. This is due to clouds which reduced my transparency for
during the 100 minutes that I collected luminosity data. Down in the
lower right corner is UGC 11981, a face on spiral galaxy about 278
million light years from us. This image, like the one of Arp 147, was
cropped just not as severely as I wanted to include the face on spiral.
Also there are a lot of faint fuzzies in the background. This larger
than usual size means this file alone is nearly one megabyte in size
when adjusted for overhead. Considering all going on in this image I
considered it worthwhile.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x20' binned 1x1, RGB=2x10' binned 2x2,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP278NGC7253L5X20X1RGB2X10X2CROP.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	598.0 KB
ID:	2246
Old November 4th 08, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, you have very good detail in these small galaxies. I am sure that I
have imaged them but can't find the picture...

Stefan

ster.com...

Old November 5th 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I see you have at least once. I have a copy on my hard drive. Posted
in November 2003. If you can't find it I can send you my copy.
Here's the text:
Stefan Lilge: NGC 7253 (=Arp 278) is a faint galaxy pair in Pegasus.
--- Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" LX200 at f/6.3, MX716
camera, video autoguider for 22x5 minutes through an Astronomik CLS filter.
File name was 7253-110gut.jpg

I lost access to the group one summer when the ISP up here stopped
carrying this group but other than that I have a pretty good record of
the images posted here and comments. Probably more complete than MySky
ever was. Not organized very well however and of late rather
incomplete. I was doing this while between film and digital so I had
something to compare my results to. Once I got going with digital I've
been rather lax in keeping it up.

Rick

Old November 5th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, if it is from 2003 I should have saved it to DVD somewhere. I only
have images from 2004 and newer on my harddisk, I thought I had imaged this
pair later than 2003.

Old November 6th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

You may have posted a newer one. I missed some 2004 posts due to the
ISP failing to carry this group for a the summer through October of that
year. After that it was carried again until it dropped usenet entirely
this spring. If posted during that time I wouldn't have gotten it. Of
course the ISP may have just missed it. That happened as well but rarely.

Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Rick, you have very good detail in these small galaxies. I am sure that I
have imaged them but can't find the picture...

Stefan

monster.com...