ASTRO: NGC 891 reprocessed

Old August 14th 08, 02:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 891 reprocessed

This was my first attempt at a color image of a galaxy and it came out
green. If I got the galaxy looking somewhat right then the background
was green.

I decided to redo it one rainy night but found the original lum FITS
images were not to be found. They are on my backup drive at the bank's
safe deposit box but the backup at the house doesn't have it per the
directory listings I kept. So I had to go with a rather poor black and
white TIFF image. Next time I'm at the bank I'll copy off the FITS
files. (After losing nearly all my film archive to a storm and tree
limb I'm taking no chances with my digital image data.) It completely
clipped the background -- probably in an attempt to deal with the green
background issue. So ignore the background clipping.

Otherwise the color came out right first try, now that I know the
correct factors to balance my filters and camera for elevation. Seeing
wasn't great and collimation worse so detail not what I'd like. I do
need to reshoot it but with my to-do list growing faster than weather
allows me to reduce it this will have to do for now.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x5', RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc891L6X5RGB3X5.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	2133
Old August 14th 08, 02:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

not a thing wrong with it now Rick...

i love the "meat" detail in the "hamburger"

really cool

ter.com...

Old August 16th 08, 02:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Simply outstanding - I'm trying to id the "little" galaxy off to the
lower left. Is it PGC09101?? I can't find a reference.

I hear you about tree limbs - I will be securing my scope and yard for
"Fay" today and tomorrow. link http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

- take care - Rod

Old August 16th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Nice one Rick!

http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old August 16th 08, 10:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

rod wrote:
Simply outstanding - I'm trying to id the "little" galaxy off to the
lower left. Is it PGC09101?? I can't find a reference.

I hear you about tree limbs - I will be securing my scope and yard for
"Fay" today and tomorrow. link http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

- take care - Rod

Yes that is the galaxy in the lower left corner. Seems to have a
companion that pulled out a spiral arm that is still at the very end of
that arm. At least for our line of sight. It is listed at a red shift
distance of a bit under 560 million light years. Over 50 times the
distance to NGC 831.

Rick

Old August 16th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Make that 40 times farther away. I hit the wrong key. 891 is about 14
million light years away.

Rick