ASTRO: IC 4954-5

Old August 4th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 4954-5

A rather small trio of reflection nebula in Vulpecula. Notice the clean
edge of the shock front in the middle nebula. I only found rather vague
distance estimates ranging from 6 to 8 thousand light years. It is part
of the large, very young, open cluster Roslund 4.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC4954-5L4X10RGB2X10X3D.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	2105
Old August 4th 08, 06:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

That one is cool! It looks like a galaxy cluster that is obscured by stars
and dust.

Joe
. com...

----

Old August 4th 08, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Actually it is more the opposite. The dust and gas left from the
formation of the cluster is blocking the light of the Milky Way beyond
it. The cluster stars are mostly the bright blue stars with a
scattering of the other mostly brighter than average stars. It extends
well out of my FOV. Where the dust and gas has been cleared out you see
the stars behind the cluster. This guy is in the Milky Way in Vulpecula
not far from M27. So you'd expect the field to be overflowing with stars.

Rick

Old August 4th 08, 11:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Nice work Rick!

http://www.tisd.net/~jng3