ASTRO: Arp 240 -- NGC 5256-7

Old July 21st 08, 12:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 240 -- NGC 5256-7

This is one of my lesser efforts. Taken near full moon in April with
lousy seeing and even worse processing trying to keep the moon out.
It's on my redo list for next year. Oddly I took this about the same
time Hubble released its image atlas of colliding galaxies. I see this
pair made the Hubble list. Theirs is a a "tad" better however.
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...2008/16/image/
The pair is about 300 million miles from us.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5257-8ARP240L5X10rgb2x10x3.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	2053
Old July 21st 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Hi Rick - your attempt is also a "tad" better than my attempts - thanks
for sharing. That's a beautiful image even with the moon cutting in.

Just a note - the Hubble link you gave lists the NGC numbers slightly
different ...

"NGC 5257/8 (Arp 240) is an astonishing galaxy pair, composed of spiral
galaxies of similar mass and size, NGC 5257 and NGC 5258."

... I haven't bothered to check any further.

- take care - Rod

Old July 21st 08, 06:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

You are right. The name is right in the file name but I was working
with my regular glasses not computer glasses and mistook the 8 for a 6.
That's what I get for not changing glasses! Getting old is no fun but
it sure beats the alternative!

Rick

Old July 21st 08, 07:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
rod[_3_]

Good eve Rick - I did not catch your file name ... you are so meticulous
and so good in your images - I meant no disrespect in pointing that out,
but rather that I suspect you keep very careful records of your work.

I hear you about the changes in ones eyes. I actually like my changes,
but still like you say - getting old is no fun.

Off to bed - have a work week in front of me. - loved your Scope City
post btw

- good eve - Rod