ASTRO: ARP 313

Old April 24th 08, 09:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default ASTRO: ARP 313

Stefan posted a black and white version of this group some time back.
I'd taken it under the Arp number rather than the NGC numbers (3995,
3994 and 3991) and didn't realize it was sitting on my hard drive. I'd
forgotten it as I was finding moonlit shots impossible to process. I'm
getting to where I can handle it if there's no really nasty glare
problem. Must be nothing compared to what Berlin gives Stefan to dig
through. Anyway, I was able to pull this one out of the moonlight.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3995L4X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1873
Old April 25th 08, 04:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Cool shot Rick... Just what else is on that drive???

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 25th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Doug W. wrote:

Cool shot Rick... Just what else is on that drive???

Several other Arp's! and or galaxy clusters. All taken in nasty
moonlight as this one was. That's the only time I get clear skies for
the last 8 months! Also on some, not all, of those nights seeing has
been far better than normal for me. I normally run 3.5" but was down to
the low 2" for this shot and several others, though one was 4". I'm
still trying to remove moonlight without removing galaxy. Not a chore
I'm very good at. The moon gives me arcs of light across the FOV. I
can deal with glows going across that behave rather smoothly but these
glows have edges that are rather "sharp" making their removal extremely
difficult without making it obvious something's been done to the image.
But its snowing and little here to do so making progress. Winter
can't seem to let go. The loons have returned but only tiny ponds of
water for them. Once down they can't take off yet the ice hasn't left.
When it does they will have to get out of the way or get crushed
against shore yet they can't leave with no "runway" of open water. Also
this is nesting season so they are very territorial yet all are stuck in
the same "territory" so the arguments are loud and constant. Trying to
sleep with 20 loons yelling "My territory" all night long is nearly
impossible.

Rick

Old April 25th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Nice shot again Rick!
The 10" RCX400 (sorry the 10"LX400) has arrived today, so i think i will be
back up and running soon....
But jee what a heavy son of a ....... is this! 75-80kgr.
I am looking forward on using it soon...but i think the weather will spoil
my adventure with the new scope... rain and cold on the menu.
As soon as i have some pics i will post them here.

reg
-
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old April 25th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

That came quicker than expected. You still have some dark skies! Hope
my clouds hex doesn't hit you too! Looking forward to first light!

Radio is saying 15 to 30 more cm of snow tomorrow. Just light snow
right now. Spring -- what's that?

Rick

Old April 28th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great result, very sharp and detailed. The 14 incher obviously gives better
detail than my 10" when conditions are right.

Stefan

Old April 28th 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Dirk, good to hear that you got your new scope. I'm sure the optics will be
great, hopefully the tracking will match this quality.

Stefan

el.net...