ASTRO: Crisp does one like everyone else does...

Old November 25th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Crisp does one like everyone else does...

I had to try an HaRGB shot

This is 4 hours of Halpha combined with 1 hour each of RGB shot under a near
full moon at the ranch.

I began the halpha shortly after it rose and finished the blue just before
sunrise. It is nice to have decent horizons so I can sit on an object all
night

the Red was Red + halpha and blue was Blue + 20% * Halpha (to simulate the
Hbeta)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosette_p300mm_6303_cs4_optec_hargb_7hours_xga.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	1498
Old November 25th 07, 07:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

I had to try an HaRGB shot

This is 4 hours of Halpha combined with 1 hour each of RGB shot under a near
full moon at the ranch.

I began the halpha shortly after it rose and finished the blue just before
sunrise. It is nice to have decent horizons so I can sit on an object all
night

the Red was Red + halpha and blue was Blue + 20% * Halpha (to simulate the
Hbeta)

Beautiful.

You do a better job of combining HA and RGB than I can manage. I end up
with odd colored stars no matter what I do and yes I do the 20% Halpha
in the blue.

This your 300mm lens?

You seen Halla's super deep shot of this area? Runs from west of the
Rosette to past the Cone. He used a 165mm lens and a two frame mosaic.

http://astrophoto.com/RoseCone.htm

You can spend lots of nights in this area.

Rick

Old November 25th 07, 07:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Rick Johnson wrote:

This your 300mm lens?

Dummy just looked at the image name. Yes it was done with the 300mm
lens. I gotta get some sleep.

Rick

Old November 25th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Nice image Richard. The colour version is not as deep as the Halpha you
posted earlier, so I prefer the Halpha-only version.

Stefan

. net...

Old November 25th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that was a processing tradeoff:

there were some pretty severe gradients in the green and blue channels so I
had to tone down the intensity to keep that manageable

I just did the "red" thing because some people like red nebulae and I seldom
do them that way in my backyard due to light pollution etc.

the moon had things pretty bright but the air is clearer out in the Mariposa
hills than in the smoggy bay area. Plus being at 1800' versus 425' also is
helpful

I did notice less total extinction there than in town.
rdc

Old November 25th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote

I had to try an HaRGB shot

Beautiful picture Richard!