ASTRO: Merope Nebula - part of NGC 1435 & the Pleiades

Old November 25th 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Merope Nebula - part of NGC 1435 & the Pleiades

Bright moonlight and a need for sleep let me to make this a very short
exposure, so this image is pretty noisy. This was the last image of the
night at around 3am on Nov 11, 2007. This was a 5:1:1:2 minute LRGB exposure
with STL-1301E and 20-inch RC working at around F/5. I also was less than
fully successful removing the monster bloom from Merope. This will go back
on the "re-do list", but for right now this is what I have.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merope.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1495
Old November 25th 07, 07:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

Bright moonlight and a need for sleep let me to make this a very short
exposure, so this image is pretty noisy. This was the last image of the
night at around 3am on Nov 11, 2007. This was a 5:1:1:2 minute LRGB exposure
with STL-1301E and 20-inch RC working at around F/5. I also was less than
fully successful removing the monster bloom from Merope. This will go back
on the "re-do list", but for right now this is what I have.

George N

Pretty darned good for so little time. See the links below for what
7.75 hours at f/5.3 can do to this nebula.

If you haven't seen the recent APOD image of M45 by Tony Hallas take a
look, he used 7.75 hours of data, most of it color data by the way.

APOD Link:

Link to original image:
http://astrophoto.com/M45WF.htm

Rick

Old November 25th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

If you haven't seen the recent APOD image of M45 by Tony Hallas take a
look, he used 7.75 hours of data, most of it color data by the way.

Rick,

Thanks for the link! That really shows the extent of the nebula.

7.75 hours is about the total of our clear weather for the past two months
here!

Maybe when I retire next year I'll have time for exposures like that.

George N

Old November 26th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

Maybe when I retire next year I'll have time for exposures like that.

Don't count on it. I retired in 2005 and am now thinking of finding a
job just so I can get a vacation to have time to get caught up.

Rick