ASTRO: That same piece of the Veil that Stefan just posted

Old September 6th 07, 07:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: That same piece of the Veil that Stefan just posted

I can't find any catalog designation for it. I first noticed it on
Richard's narrow band shot of the eastern part of the Veil. I took this
in early August but just now am getting it processed after Stefan's post
reminded me I'd also taken it.

It's interesting to compare the two. He gets the red parts better than
I do in the faint areas while the situation is reversed with the blue
parts of the nebula. Interesting how it is divided right down the
middle into a blue and red half. I didn't expect that.

The red/blue difference also extends to the stars where I pick up as
rather bright some blue stars that don't even register on his chip.
There is a difference between chips it seems. Even with his light
pollution he dug out faint detail virtually invisible in my image yet I
show far more stars. Aperture has something to do with this but I can't
believe that much difference.

I see the seeing was far better than normal this night and I could have
used 1x1 binning to show more detail. Didn't realize it at the time
however. It's rare for me to have such a night. Had it again tonight
but before I could get started the clouds rolled in and I had to shut
down.

Note the linear feature running down and to the left in a slight arc.
Being red it shows a bit better in Stefan's shot.

Also, if you look hard you can find a faint fuzzy in the image. To the
left of the nebula's top end there's a line of "Christmas tree lights"
that runs east and a bit north. It ends in a brighter orange star and a
really bright blue one. The fuzzy is just beyond the blue star.

It's located at about 20h 56m 18s +30d 23' 47" for those who want to
look it up on the DSS plates.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VS4X10RGB2X10.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	536.8 KB
ID:	1184
Old September 6th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, this looks pretty amazing in colour.
I used a Halpha filter, which explains why I got the red parts well while
the blue parts are more or less missing. I may be tempted to try this area
with an OIII filter to get the blue part as well. I don't think I could get
anything here without narrowband filters.

Stefan

Old September 7th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've got to read better, missed that on H-alpha. I wondered how you
managed such detail from your location. I use a 6nm HA filter and it
doesn't pick up nearly as many stars or off band light. For your
location or for making color HaRGB images the wider band width would
help a lot to approximate the white light image yet get rid of the light
pollution.

It does remind me of the vivid colors in that other SNR, Cassiopeia A, I
posted before leaving on vacation. Must be a feature of shock wave SNRs.

The strong color bisection makes me want to call it the Half and Half
Nebula though my wife thinks "Bug Splat Nebula" fit when she saw your
black and white version.

Rick

Old September 7th 07, 02:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

yes, that looks very Veil-like Rick

fits in with all the other nebulosity that is so rich in the [OIII] along
with the Halpha

I just may have to swing the cass over there someday try my own closeup.

thanks for posting this

Old September 7th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
I've got to read better, missed that on H-alpha. I wondered how you
managed such detail from your location. I use a 6nm HA filter and it
doesn't pick up nearly as many stars or off band light. For your location
or for making color HaRGB images the wider band width would help a lot to
approximate the white light image yet get rid of the light pollution.

It does remind me of the vivid colors in that other SNR, Cassiopeia A, I
posted before leaving on vacation. Must be a feature of shock wave SNRs.

The strong color bisection makes me want to call it the Half and Half
Nebula though my wife thinks "Bug Splat Nebula" fit when she saw your
black and white version.

turtle nebula....

Rick

Old September 7th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

The strong color bisection makes me want to call it the Half and Half
Nebula though my wife thinks "Bug Splat Nebula" fit when she saw your
black and white version.

turtle nebula....

On further inspection I think it the Happy Alien Nebula. His open
smiling mouth is the large empty region with a moderately bright star in
it. His pointy nose to the upper right of the mouth and his left hand
is waving at us. He's standing on two blue legs with red feet.

Now let's hope he doesn't meet up with a similar alien with the opposite
color scheme. That created havoc for the Enterprise crew as I recall.

Rick

Old September 8th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
I just may have to swing the cass over there someday try my own closeup.

Richard,

You could also do a "Rob Gendler" 100 image mosaic of the Veil!

BTW, those were both interesting images guys!!

George N