ASTRO: Ring Nebula

Old August 17th 07, 07:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Default ASTRO: Ring Nebula

The sky was clear for a while tonight so I set up for some city shooting
after work. The Milky Way was barely visible but I wanted to shoot some
planetary nebula because it would have a high SB and I would be able to
process the light pollution out...plus play with my new camera. It clouded
up 30 minutes after I set up so here is 10 (5x2m) minutes of data taken with
a C-11 @ f/10 with a 400D set @ 800asa. Ignore the back ground artifacts as
I had trouble removing a hot spot my SCT gives @ f/10. Stacked in PW and
processed in PS7

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m57-a.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1110
Old August 17th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

J McBride wrote:
The sky was clear for a while tonight so I set up for some city shooting
after work. The Milky Way was barely visible but I wanted to shoot some
planetary nebula because it would have a high SB and I would be able to
process the light pollution out...plus play with my new camera. It clouded
up 30 minutes after I set up so here is 10 (5x2m) minutes of data taken with
a C-11 @ f/10 with a 400D set @ 800asa. Ignore the back ground artifacts as
I had trouble removing a hot spot my SCT gives @ f/10. Stacked in PW and
processed in PS7

Joe

You need to take some flats to get rid of that hot spot. Several free
programs are out there for digital cameras that will do that. It can be
done with Photoshop as well. Deepskystacker mentioned by George is one
of the free ones, I believe, that works with digital camera files for
flats and darks.

Rick

Old August 18th 07, 06:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

I like it!!

you got the central star too.

Old August 18th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Thanks Richard, I was very suprised how much light pollution I picked up @
f/10 from my backyard. I might try the smaller PNs rather than the more
extended ones and see if I get better results. I'll save the rest for the
dark sky sites.

Joe

Old August 19th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Nice picture Joe. There are indeed some planetaries that are good targets
for city skies.

Stefan