ASTRO: Reprocess of M81 eating Holmberg IX

Old July 15th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Reprocess of M81 eating Holmberg IX

With nothing but lousy skies here I reprocessed Holmberg IX on my M81
shot using some techniques I didn't have when I first posted it. This
is a crop of the full image. This makes Holmberg IX way brighter than
it really is compared to M81 so there's a lot of brightness distortion
between the two. It turns out I had a lot more detail in Holmberg IX
than I realized. It is a disorganized mass of star clouds and one
rather bright HII region. I didn't touch M81 however.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x10', RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M81L105RGB15CCROP.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1031
Old July 16th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Real nice shot Rick! i like this one.
reg
Dirk

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old July 16th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

DvandenH wrote:

Real nice shot Rick! i like this one.
reg
Dirk

Thanks.
When you do get dark skies back? I now have nearly 3 hours of dark
enough unless I'm going really deep. But no skies, just high clouds and
misting low ones. Second new moon of lousy weather. I've got to find a
new hobby. This weather is driving me nuts.

Rick

Old July 16th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Yep no different here Rick..rain, clouds, thunder storms, etc and real hot
(very high humidity).
But the nights are getting longer so now wait for the weather to improve.

Keep the images coming Rick.
Reg
Dirk

Old July 17th 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've learned how to dig into noise and still get valid data. If you
don't mind it very very noisy I can pick up some of the galactic dust
streams that are in this area. They are very faint and mostly noise.
Another 40 hours of data and I might be able to show them better. But
getting good seeing like I had for this shot is very rare. Getting it
for the nights required is impossible I'm afraid. From this location
that is.

I'm losing another new moon. Even if it does clear then the temp drops
and fog rolls in. I get 15 to 30 minutes on a good night so I've got a
dozen partial shots. Seems the clear hole is never in the same place
twice so I start another then another and before long I don't know what
the heck is in process. I need a log just for that.

Record keeping has never been my strong point in this hobby.

I'm still finding partial shots on the hard drive. Usually with some
Lum data but no or limited color and now they are mostly too far west
and always in the gunk near the horizon. I'll likely start over next year.

Rick