ASTRO: M101 Pinwheel galaxy

Old May 18th 07, 02:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M101 Pinwheel galaxy

Hi all,
Did some shooting yesterday (pretty good seeing..)
M101
Stack of:
2 x 240 sec
15 x 120 sec
10 x 90 sec.
All unguided.
Stacked in maximdl
some brushing up in CS.

Looks like this galaxy also colided in the past, the upper arm show
sometraces of another arm that's pointing against the rotation of the other
arms...

Reg
Dirk

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M101.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	857
Old May 18th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

that came out nice Dirk

Congratulations

one suggestion for processing; if you use photoshop cs, try
select/highlights
followed by select/expand (by about two pixels)
then select/feather (by about 4 pixels)

then filter/gaussian blur (about 1 pixel)

that will give the stars a rounded edge so that they don't have the 'flat
top' profile and a bit softer edges. That usually makes the image look a bit
nicer.

bel.net...

Old May 20th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Dirk,

both your M101 and M63 have very nice detail. Is this with a focal reducer?
Looks much sharper than without.

Stefan

Old May 20th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H[_2_]

Thx Stefan, yes they are with 6.3 reducer.
When you use a focal reducer on your 8" do you also have that big ring in
your pictures (reflection of your primairy)?
Just curious, because i have a hell of a time removing them from my images..

reg
Dirk

Old May 21st 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Dirk, I don't have big rings in my pictures, unless you are talking about
the "usual" vignetting, which is much more obvious than without the focal
reducer.
Do you use flatfield images? If not that might cure your problems (even
though I can't see any problems in this picture).

Old May 21st 07, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H[_2_]

I never noticed it untill my recent images..
And yes i try to make flats, but that was never necessary in the past..
Btw is mysky.org gone forever?

Old May 21st 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Mysky.org has been useless for several years now I think, so there is little
hope for a "revival".