ASTRO: NGC 5033

Old May 4th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 5033

I imaged NGC 5033 around April new moon time. Not as smooth as I would have
liked it to be, but certainly an improvement on my old image from spring
2002.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 45x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/5033-45x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5033-45x5gut.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	803

Old May 4th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

I imaged NGC 5033 around April new moon time. Not as smooth as I would
have liked it to be, but certainly an improvement on my old image from
spring 2002.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount,
SXV-H9 camera, 45x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/5033-45x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Nice shot of those faint arms. I see on the DSS plates there's a faint
really nasty looking smudge of a galaxy about 25 minutes south of this
guy. I wonder if there's a connection. Something sure spread out those
arms. I'll have to look at the radial velocities and see if they could
be connected. I'd have to rotate the camera to get both in one shot and
even then it would be a tight squeeze.

I've got this one on my list but might be next year before I get to it.
I have better transparency east of the meridian. The seeing is often
better there too. I'm not looking through the haze that comes off the
lake or at least as much of it. So I try to take as much as possible on
that side of the meridian. What with night coming so late now this guy
is getting too close to the meridian and will have to be shot on the
other side this year. I have a ton on the list still to the east so
likely will continue shooting those. Lots of targets this time of the
year but it's a short season thanks to spring. We live too far north it
appears.

Rick

Old May 4th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Beauty Stefan.. You are getting very good detail and stars. I wonder which
side (right or left) of the galaxy is closest to us.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com