NASA study favors Delta IV/Orion for economy

Old June 15th 09, 09:01 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default NASA study favors Delta IV/Orion for economy

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...20IV%20Cheaper

Pat
Old June 16th 09, 01:37 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...20IV%20Cheaper

Pat

I'd much rather see them fix the stick than use a Delta heavy.
But cancel the heavy and lander. Robots are for exploring, humans
are for /exploiting/, where the expense can be recouped, or even
a profit made.

That's the only way we're going to have large numbers of people
in space. This whole moon and mars thing kinda limits the number
of people in space to a handful at best for the next couple of
generations. And completely eliminates any market potential.

Spending say ....400 billion and ...40 years to put men on mars
when ....4 billion and ....4 years....with robots can do 95% as good
is just plain ...Lunacy...defined.

Men need to be building something profitable and useful in low
earth orbit. Until we can do that, we certainly can't make any
profits farther out.

Let the robots drift into the deep freeze.

Old June 16th 09, 06:19 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...20IV%20Cheaper

Pat

Hardly surprising. And with my idea for a Delta V (55 tonnes to LEO;
smaller payloads, but launched more often - seven times a year), there's no
need for an Ares V at all.

Old June 17th 09, 07:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
And with my idea for a Delta V (55 tonnes to LEO; smaller payloads, but
launched more often - seven times a year), there's no need for an Ares V
at all.

The Delta team already has several ideas about how to grow Delta IV. What
is lacking is demand for larger payloads. DOD may say they're interested,
but they're always reluctant to actually spend the money to increase payload
capacity.

"Delta Launch 310 – Delta IV Heavy Demo Media Kit - Delta Growth Options".
Boeing.
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...heavy_demo.pdf

After opening the PDF, click on "Growth Options", or just go to page 51.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old June 17th 09, 09:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

The Delta team already has several ideas about how to grow Delta IV. What
is lacking is demand for larger payloads. DOD may say they're interested,
but they're always reluctant to actually spend the money to increase payload
capacity.

"Delta Launch 310 – Delta IV Heavy Demo Media Kit - Delta Growth Options".
Boeing.
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...heavy_demo.pdf

After opening the PDF, click on "Growth Options", or just go to page 51.

Those six-PLF designs are interesting.

Pat
Old June 18th 09, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Pat Flannery wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:

The Delta team already has several ideas about how to grow Delta IV.

[snip]
After opening the PDF, click on "Growth Options", or just go to page 51.

Those six-PLF designs are interesting.

Pat

If you mean those Delta IV Heavy derivatives, note the notation at the bottom
which says 'new pad/infrastructure'. I read that as $$$, worse than
'batteries not included'. Comments?

Dave
Old June 18th 09, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Jun 17, 8:08*pm, David Spain wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:

The Delta team already has several ideas about how to grow Delta IV. *

[snip]
After opening the PDF, click on "Growth Options", or just go to page 51.

Those six-PLF designs are interesting.

Pat

If you mean those Delta IV Heavy derivatives, note the notation at the bottom
which says 'new pad/infrastructure'. I read that as $$$, worse than
'batteries not included'. Comments?

Dave

I agree, that it all another game at getting their hands into our
pockets. Would you care to suggest otherwise?

Perhaps our NASA should be shut down.

~ BG
Old June 18th 09, 06:17 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history David Spain wrote:
If you mean those Delta IV Heavy derivatives, note the notation at
the bottom which says 'new pad/infrastructure'. I read that as $$$,
worse than 'batteries not included'. Comments?

My peanut gallery intuition (such as it is) tends to agree and figures
it would become, effectively, Delta V.

rick jones