But why an elliptical orbit

Old October 12th 05, 04:27 AM
tt40

Default But why an elliptical orbit

In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

Until someone can do the 'why', I'm going to assume that either:

1. it's because the Sun is in a rotation of it's own and all the
planets have to scoot to 'catch' up with it. But since the Sun is
moving too, the now-receding planet's momentum carries it further away
than it expected, so it maps out a stretched circle, longer than it
thought was necessary. So it's stretching the distance on the long-arm
of the orbit and has to scoot back in again, chasing that moving Sun.

or

2. the minute gravitational tug of the planet pulls the Sun closer (out
of its 'fixed' position relative to the planet) which increases the
mutual gravitational attraction so that they are each attracted that
little bit stronger. But since the Plant is still in orbit, it follows
the short arm of the ellipse that little bit faster or a little more
energised. It then maps out the long-arm of the ellipse and
gravitational attraction recedes just a little bit, allowing it to
'stretch that circle'.

or

(this space left blank for the correct answer)

Greg

Old October 12th 05, 04:44 AM
Chris L Peterson

On 11 Oct 2005 20:27:05 -0700, "tt40" wrote:

[...]

The correct answer is found in the mathematics. Any attempt to explain
it in English is a poor approximation at best (your first suggestion is
entirely incorrect; you are sort of on the right track with the second).

In a two body system, with the bodies acting under the force of gravity,
an elliptical path is simply what happens. The math that describes that
is really the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler%27s_laws
http://astron.berkeley.edu/~converse/Lagrange/Kepler'sFirstLaw.htm

Maybe Brian Tung will chip in. He has a talent for putting the math into
English.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 12th 05, 04:58 AM
Chuck Taylor

tt40 wrote:
It then maps out the long-arm of the ellipse and
gravitational attraction recedes just a little bit, allowing it to
'stretch that circle'.

Are you asking why it is an ellipse rather than a circle? If
so, the answer is easy. You can create a perfectly circular
orbit with only two bodies --- the sun and the planet. But
when you introduce everything else, they will not stay
perfectly circular. And, given the chaotic nature of the solar
system's creation, it is too much to ask that it create
perfectly circular orbits at the start.

A circle and an ellipse are the only two possibilities that
work. And to be "perfect" about it, they aren't even perfectly
elliptical. There is always a little tugging and pulling by
other bodies that alter the orbits from perfect. But apart
from those tiny imperfections, they are ellipses.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Taylor

Old October 12th 05, 05:15 AM
Sam Wormley

tt40 wrote:
In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

The answer lies in mathematics of Kepler, and especially Newton.

Johannes Kepler -- more than 900 pages of calculation in about four
years attempted to measure the orbit of Mars

o from a moving platform
o who's orbit was not centered on the Sun
o rotating on its axis
o of a planet varying in its orbital speed around the Sun.

Kepler's calculations were immensely difficult... but he eventually realized
that an ellipse with an eccentricity of about nine percent agreed with
Tycho Brahe's observational data. Kepler found that the orbits of planets
in our solar system follow ellipses, sweeping out equal areas in equal
times (Newton would later show this as the conservation of angular
momentum as you point out).

Newton discovered (and showed mathematically) that objects in free fall
(such as planets influenced by a central force like the Sun's gravity)
follow the paths of conic sections.

Ref: http://learning.physics.iastate.edu/DemoRoom/MU.htm#22

The combination of Newton's law of gravity and F=ma . The task of
deducing all three of Kepler's laws from Newton's universal law of
gravitation is known as the Kepler problem. Its solution is one of the
crowning achievements of Western thought.

A model for Gravitation was essential.
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Gravity.html
Old October 12th 05, 08:35 AM
Brian Tung

tt40 wrote:
In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

I'm afraid there *is* no intuitive reason why it's an ellipse. You have
to remember that a mathematical derivation is generally a rather terse
and compact description of "why" something is true. As Chris says, it's
difficult to translate that into English without losing precision. You
can do it, but then the English is much longer than the math.

Even so, the derivation of a simple fact like Newton's law of universal
gravitation leading to an elliptical orbit is fairly involved. If there
really were a simple and intuitive explanation why it's an ellipse, the
mathematics would be pretty short and straightforward. The fact that it
isn't reveals something deep about mathematics and celestial mechanics.
I think it's one of the most beautiful aspects of theoretical astronomy,
and a major reason why Newton's Principia Mathematica is considered the
crowning achievement of science.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old October 12th 05, 08:43 AM
Martin Brown

tt40 wrote:
In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

or

(this space left blank for the correct answer)

It is a direct consequence of conserving angular momentum and total
energy when a body moves in an inverse square law gravitational field.

You can derive the equations for orbital motion this way starting from
first principles. Most decent physics text books should cover this in
some detail. The orbit is elliptical because an ellipse is one solution
of the equations of motion (for a bound orbit).

The other solutions are a parabola for a particle just able to escape,
and a hyperbola for a particle with more than enough kinetic energy to
break free (typically non-periodic comets follow these paths).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 12th 05, 11:35 AM
Thierry

"tt40" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi,

Orbits are not elliptical although Kepler as so-called "demonstrated" it.
Planets and satellites are in mutual interactions more or less pronounced
with all other bodies, they are thus perturbated in their circular rotation.
We usually refer to the ellipse by abuse of language, doing a very rought
approximation because to be accurate trajectories (geodesics) are not really
elliptical but much more complex.

Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry

Old October 12th 05, 11:46 AM
William Hamblen

On 2005-10-12, tt40 wrote:
In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

Orbits are elliptical because of the inverse square law of gravity and
Newton's three laws of motion. Isaac Newton worked it out in Principia
back in the 17th century.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old October 12th 05, 01:13 PM
Paul Schlyter

Martin Brown wrote:
tt40 wrote:
In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

or

(this space left blank for the correct answer)

It is a direct consequence of conserving angular momentum and total
energy when a body moves in an inverse square law gravitational field.

This is part of it, but you missed one important reason: it is also
because gravity varies inversely with the square of the distance.

If gravity had varied with distance in some other way, the orbits
would get different shapes - even if angular momentum and energy
are conserved.

You can derive the equations for orbital motion this way starting from
first principles. Most decent physics text books should cover this in
some detail. The orbit is elliptical because an ellipse is one solution
of the equations of motion (for a bound orbit).

The other solutions are a parabola for a particle just able to escape,
and a hyperbola for a particle with more than enough kinetic energy to
break free (typically non-periodic comets follow these paths).

Regards,
Martin Brown

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old October 12th 05, 01:13 PM
Paul Schlyter

In article , Brian Tung wrote:
tt40 wrote:
In everything I've read about planets and elliptical orbits, I can't
ever recall any author (Feynman, Newton, 'Ask an Astronomer' etc.),
explaining exactly 'why' the orbit is elliptical. Oh sure there's been
lots of mathematics to explain the orbit and how it works, but most of
the explanations don't provide a definitive statement as to why it IS
elliptical.

I'm afraid there *is* no intuitive reason why it's an ellipse.

Yes, there is an intuitive reason: the orbits are ellipses with the
Sun at one of the foci because gravity follows an inverse-square law.
If gravity had varied in some other way, then the orbits would (usually)
not have been ellipses.

One example: if gravity would have been directly proportional to
distance (i.e. if gravity had *increased* with distance - we could
call this hypothetical case "rubber band gravity") the orbits would
have been ellipses too, but the Sun would have been at the *center*
of the ellipse, not at one of the foci of the ellipse. This case can
be simulated with a little ball attached to a stick with a very
elastic rubber band.

Another hypothetical case: if gravity would have varied as the inverse
*fifth* power of the distance, all orbits would have been spirals.
I.e. all planets would have either spiralled into the Sun or spiralled
out into space. Needless to say, a solar system would under such
circumstances become very short-lived.