Do We Have The Political Will To Support Bush's Moon/Mars Exploration Program?

Old September 18th 05, 02:57 PM

Default Do We Have The Political Will To Support Bush's Moon/Mars Exploration Program?

Yes Or No?
Old September 18th 05, 04:47 PM
James Nicoll

In article QNfXe.5332$i86.4869@trndny01, Ray wrote:

"Cardman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:57:03 -0400, wrote:

Yes Or No?

Yes...so far.

President Bush seems strongly in favour, where he even made threats to
the Senate if NASA's requested funding was not approved.

The Senate recently approved a $16.4 billion budget for NASA by a vote
of 91 to 4.

Once the next President takes office, where large scale funding
reductions will need to take place to pay back Bush's debts, then this
strong support may quickly change.

Time will tell.

Cardman.

Yes, because any other President who comes in after Bush will
realize that NASA has one of two choices for directions now and into the
future; moon, mars and beyond or getting rid of manned spaceflight because
its a waste to simply orbit the earth for the next 30 years, so yes we will
have the will to do one of these choices. I dont think the US, reguardless
of who becomes President in the future, will be stupid enough to cancel
manned spaceflight, so we will be going to moon, mars and beyond and
supporting it in the future.

The POTUS has to bear in mind the possible cost to his or her
chances of re-election:

Option Cost

Moon and Mars Lots of $ at a time when the US is living off its credit,
plus the potential to high-light gold old American Don't
Know How. Burkina Faso managed to fly just as many space
stations in the 1980s as the US and at a much lower cost.

Cancel Program A million engineers crying out and then suddenly becoming
unemployed. A passel of angry pork managers gunning for the
POTUS.

Same old same
old Nothing that isn't already happening.

Gentlemen, prepare your Power Point Presentations.
--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Old September 18th 05, 09:04 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:57:03 -0400, wrote:

Yes Or No?

No. Take it to the bank.

-- Roy L
Old September 19th 05, 01:05 AM
blart

Have to - because the small fry are now catching up to NASA and the gummint.
Pretty soon people will actually be making GOOD money out of the commercial
exploitation of space.

This will make the existing Military-Industrial complex very very ****ed
off,
because they can no longer control and squash any entrepreneurial ventures
into space.

They are already more than a little peeved and fighting back.

But, they are now also in battle with the Chinese and Europeans,
as well as small energetic new style corporations.

NO fricken way will they tolerate a Chinese or EU flag on Mars....

The old guard will have to move very fast and cheap soon, or they will
disappear.
This will cause much disturbance in the pork-barrelled and lobbied belts.

And will even adversely effect certain groups of Virginia Farmers...

wrote in message
Yes Or No?

Old September 19th 05, 01:07 AM
Michael Rhino

wrote in message
Yes Or No?

We'll get a moon program unless the US goes bankrupt which is a possibility.
I'm reluctant to think of any Mars program as a Bush program. If 30 years
from now a President decides to send people to Mars, what does that have to
do with Bush? You could just as easily call it a Carl Sagan program. One
way to kill NASA manned space flight is to cancel ISS and the lunar program,
give the green light to a Mars mission, but under fund it.

Old September 19th 05, 01:47 AM
Sander Vesik

Ray wrote:

Yes, because any other President who comes in after Bush will
realize that NASA has one of two choices for directions now and into the
future; moon, mars and beyond or getting rid of manned spaceflight because
its a waste to simply orbit the earth for the next 30 years, so yes we will
have the will to do one of these choices. I dont think the US, reguardless
of who becomes President in the future, will be stupid enough to cancel
manned spaceflight, so we will be going to moon, mars and beyond and
supporting it in the future.

A future congress might be indebted enough to cacnel it though.

Ray

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old September 19th 05, 03:55 PM
Michael Gallagher

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:34:08 GMT, "Ray" wrote:

I dont think the US, reguardless
of who becomes President in the future, will be stupid enough to cancel
manned spaceflight, so we will be going to moon, mars and beyond and
supporting it in the future.

Yes, I've heard that n opresident wants to be the one to go down in
history to kill NASA. But then maybe no president has found a way to
spin that into a good thing.

However -- and I'm just thinking this as I type this -- if Mr. Griffin
carries through on selecting a CEV contractor next March and gets the
thing on a fast track to development, then by the time of the 2008
election, we could be very close to putting it in production and begin
training astronauts in simulators for it. So even if Mr. Bush's
successor isn't all fired up over Moon and Mars, hopefully he or she
will want to keep the CEV in production and do SOMETHING with it.

The again, I could be wrong.

Old September 19th 05, 05:20 PM
Cardman

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:55:15 -0400, Michael Gallagher
wrote:

Yes, I've heard that n opresident wants to be the one to go down in
history to kill NASA. But then maybe no president has found a way to
spin that into a good thing.

However -- and I'm just thinking this as I type this -- if Mr. Griffin
carries through on selecting a CEV contractor next March and gets the
thing on a fast track to development, then by the time of the 2008
election, we could be very close to putting it in production and begin
training astronauts in simulators for it. So even if Mr. Bush's
successor isn't all fired up over Moon and Mars, hopefully he or she
will want to keep the CEV in production and do SOMETHING with it.

The again, I could be wrong.

It is interesting to note that when NASA and Bush first put forwards
this Moon and beyond plan, then the expected budget increase would be
small, and where this one CEV would be EELV launched.

Naturally, some of us could soon spot issues with that plan. So this
early plan was just a deception.

These days, from my count, then NASA is now wanting all of five new
vehicles. This then creates an issue, when missing any of these five
vehicles then means that the Moon is not easily possible.

The five naturally are...

Earth Launch CEV
Space Based CEV
CLV
SDHLV
Lunar Lander

This is certainly a nice collection, but at $25 to $30 billion to
build it is awfully expensive. The cost to operate this system also
remains to be seen.

Cardman.