Daytime Observing!

Old October 19th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Robert Geake

Default Daytime Observing!

I've never tried it myself, it all sounds a bit ghostly to me but.......

Has anyone had any experiences/set-up advice they would like to share??

Yes, I know, Long time know post, I've been working for the queen

Old October 20th 07, 12:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:53:11 +0100, Robert Geake
wrote:

I've never tried it myself, it all sounds a bit ghostly to me but.......

Has anyone had any experiences/set-up advice they would like to share??

Yes, I know, Long time know post, I've been working for the queen

It's very much my preferred time to check out the Sun Rob ;-)

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old October 20th 07, 12:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36

On Oct 19, 5:53 pm, Robert Geake wrote:
I've never tried it myself, it all sounds a bit ghostly to me but.......

Has anyone had any experiences/set-up advice they would like to share??

Yes, I know, Long time know post, I've been working for the queen

Try Huygens and how clocks are kept in sync with the axial cycle -

http://www.xs4all.nl/~adcs/Huygens/06/kort-E.html

Discover how clocks, the axial cycle and terrestrial longitudes mesh
without directly refering to axial rotation or rather,how 4 minutes
clock time represent 1 degree of geographical seperation making 24
hours/360 degrees.

Astronomy, beyond the magnification branch ,is as much a pursuit of
the day than the night even though you have established that astronomy
is nothing more than a celestial sphere magnification
exercise .Galileo had you in mind when he made these comment -

SALV. The same thing has struck me even more forcibly than you. I have
heard such things put forth as I should blush to repeat--not so much
to avoid discrediting their authors (whose names could always be
withheld) as to refrain from detracting so greatly from the honor of
the human race. In the long run my observations have convinced me that
some men, reasoning preposterously, first establish some conclusion In
their minds which, either because of its being their own or because of
their having received it from some person who has their entire
confidence, impresses them so deeply that one finds it impossible ever
to get it out of their heads. Such arguments in support of their fixed
idea as they hit upon themselves or hear set forth by others, no
matter how simple and stupid these may be, gain their instant
acceptance and applause. On the other hand whatever is brought forward
against it, however ingenious and conclusive, they receive with
disdain or with hot rage--if indeed it does not make them ill. Beside
themselves with passion, some of them would not be backward even about
scheming to suppress and silence their adversaries. I have had some
experience of this myself.

SAGR." I know; such men do not deduce their conclusion from its
premises or establish it by reason, but they accommodate (I should
have said discommode and distort) the premises and reasons to a
conclusion which for them is already established and nailed down. No
good can come of dealing with such people, especially to the extent
that their company may be not only unpleasant but dangerous" Dialogue
Concerning the Two Chief World Systems Galileo

Everybody is an astronomer by virtue that their existence is
conditioned by the motions of the Earth on its axis and its orbital
motion through space in generating the daily cycles and seasonal
cycles,really good astronomers put more details to those motions
before moving on to structural and evolutionary astronomy applied to
the rest of the solar system,galaxy and the wider universe.The sad
fact is that you describe axial and orbital motion within an
astrological framework -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3%A9reo.en.png

You think you are practicisng astronomy when you and your colleagues
are little more than astrologers with telescopes.

Old October 25th 07, 10:55 AM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Geake View Post
I've never tried it myself, it all sounds a bit ghostly to me but.......

Has anyone had any experiences/set-up advice they would like to share??

Yes, I know, Long time know post, I've been working for the queen

Apart from the sun as Pete quoted - Venus is a 'morning star' that's on the southern meridian about 10am and can be followed into the afrernoon. I cheat with a goto and it looked like this a few days ago via my ETX-70 at http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...ven071023y.jpg

Nytecam
Old October 25th 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
home@away

I often do solar observing, looking and videoing Venus, Saturn is visible, as is
Mars, and the brighter stars are easily seen. You can also do some observing at
night....... ;-)

Lawrence

Old October 25th 07, 11:38 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Iordani

home@away wrote:

I often do solar observing, looking and videoing Venus, Saturn is visible,
as is Mars, and the brighter stars are easily seen.

Can you actually see some stars during daytime? And Saturn?

Old October 26th 07, 12:06 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Iordani

Iordani wrote:

home@away wrote:

I often do solar observing, looking and videoing Venus, Saturn is
visible, as is Mars, and the brighter stars are easily seen.

Can you actually see some stars during daytime? And Saturn?

Well, seems you can. Just found some good sites about this.
Must say I'm quite surprised and will try it out.
Old October 26th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
home@away

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:38:36 +0200, Iordani wrote:

home@away wrote:

I often do solar observing, looking and videoing Venus, Saturn is visible,
as is Mars, and the brighter stars are easily seen.

Can you actually see some stars during daytime? And Saturn?

Yes to both. Contrast is obviously limited, but still an achievement.

Old October 26th 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36

On Oct 26, 12:06 am, Iordani wrote:
Iordani wrote:
home@away wrote:

I often do solar observing, looking and videoing Venus, Saturn is
visible, as is Mars, and the brighter stars are easily seen.

Can you actually see some stars during daytime? And Saturn?

Well, seems you can. Just found some good sites about this.
Must say I'm quite surprised and will try it out.

'To reduce Watches to the right measure of dayes, or to know how much
they goe too fast or too slow in 24. hours.'

" Here take notice, that the Sun or the Earth passeth the 12.
Signes, or makes an entire revolution in the Ecliptick in 365 days, 5
hours 49 min. or there about, and that those days, reckon'd from noon
to noon, are of different lenghts; AS IS KNOWN TO ALL THAT IS VERS'D
IN ASTRONOMY. Now between the longest and the shortest of those days,
a day may be taken of such a length, as 365 such days, 5. hours &c.
(the same numbers as before) make up, or are equall to that
revolution: And this is call'd the Equal or Mean day, according to
which the Watches are to be set; and therefore the Hour or Minute
shew'd by the Watches, though they be perfectly Iust and equal, must
needs differ almost continually from those that are shew'd by the Sun,
or are reckon'd according to its Motion."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~adcs/Huygens/06/kort-E.html

The pre-Copernican astronomers referenced planetary motion from th
point of view of a stationary Earth,the heliocentric astronomers
referenced planetary motion from and orbitall moving and axial
rotating Earth,the 17th century empiricists referenced axial and
orbital motion of the zodiacal framework hence we now have numbskulls
who think astronomy is a magnification hobby that occurs at night.

The freakish situation where axial and orbital motion is referenced
off a celestial sphere leads to the catastrophic view of axial and
orbital motion as a mixture of astrology and creationism -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3%A9reo.en.png

In the noble history of human reasoning and discovery,there is nothing
worse than the fictional forcing of tying axial rotation to the return
of a star to a meridian,it is beyond insanity but unfortunately it is
now the dominant view.

I do not mind what you have done to yourselves,it is the rest of
humanity who really needs an authority to handle the destruction of
astronomy,its methods and its insights by people who now wonder if
there is such a thing as 'daytime observing'.