OM aka Bob Mosley

Old March 27th 16, 10:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matthew Ota[_2_]

Default OM aka Bob Mosley

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 1:59:20 PM UTC-7, Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM. He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

I will not miss him. He was rude and combative. Very poor manners. Not a gentleman.
Old March 31st 16, 10:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Matthew Ota submitted this idea :
On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 1:59:20 PM UTC-7, Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Some of us oldtimers here remember a fellow who went by the screename of OM.
He was a cantankerous trollish fellow that knew his stuff but internet
etiquette was certainly not his forte! He ruled this group for years.

It is my sad duty to inform folks that OM aka Bob Mosley passed away today
from complications due to diabetes. RIP Bob, we'll miss you.

I will not miss him. He was rude and combative. Very poor manners. Not a
gentleman.

I miss him. He was indeed rude and combative and not a gentleman, but
he made many contributions. When /Columbia/ was lost, he put together
a web site that had a lot of information in one place that would
otherwise have been spread over the web like debris.

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Old November 17th 16, 07:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Juthan

I used to be a regular poster to the sci.space.* groups back when it was still Usenet and before there were kids and mortgages etc. Even won myself a coveted "I corrected Henry Spencer" t-shirt at one point.

Thought I'd pop in to have a look, and amongst all the cobwebs I found this notice of Bob's passing. Yes he could be infuriating at times, and his sometimes combative approach to discussion was not ideal. But personally I often felt much of that was for show. I'm very much saddened to hear that he is no longer with us.

As others have said his effort and leadership in establishing the Columbia Accident FAQ over on sci.space.shuttle showed his genuine side.

I'm a little late, but to quote Fred Haise..... "Farewell OM, and we thank you".

Cheers,
Justin Wigg
Old December 10th 16, 02:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Here is a comment I had posted to this forum earlier this year:

=========
....the reason why SSH became a cesspool was never the fault of any one person in particular. I saw it to be the fault of the group as a whole.

If there is ever a case (cyber or non) where one person is being abusively treated, then other members of the community have the opportunity to speak up to voice objection to such behavior. There is a critical mass where a certain number of people are acting abusively, and another certain percentage are choosing to remain silent on the matter, forming a tacit base of approval. THAT is when a turning point is reached and a community becomes toxic.

The problem here was never OM as an individual. It was everyone who chose the path of not respecting all members. And it was everyone who remained silent, enabling such toxicity to persist.

This is hardly a problem limited to this forum. Nor limited to Usenet. Nor limited to the web. It is a problem that has persisted throughout all of human history.
=========

John Glenn died this week. He did not live a perfect life. But he lived a very disciplined, principled life. For me, that puts him into a category with folks like George Washington.

Some people live their lives as role models.
Others serve as examples of character traits to be avoided.
And the line between the two is not always distinct.
We are all capable of behavior on either side of that line.
Every day we are faced with choices for which side to be on.
But eventually those decisions quicken into our habits.
And that is what defines us as our character.

~ CT