ASTRO: Nikon D200 First Light

Old April 21st 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

Default ASTRO: Nikon D200 First Light

My first venture back into astroimaging since 2001.
Took a number of 50mm shots just to test the D200.

Southern Milky Way from Gates Co. NC, USA
Camera mounted piggyback on Losmandy G-11
No filter
50mm f/1.8 Nikkor D lens stopped to f/5.6
18 minute guided exposure/ISO 500
PP done in Photoshop

Scott
--
Preston S Justis
Astrophotography home page:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sthrnmw.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	708
Old April 21st 07, 08:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Preston S Justis wrote:

My first venture back into astroimaging since 2001.
Took a number of 50mm shots just to test the D200.

Southern Milky Way from Gates Co. NC, USA
Camera mounted piggyback on Losmandy G-11
No filter
50mm f/1.8 Nikkor D lens stopped to f/5.6
18 minute guided exposure/ISO 500
PP done in Photoshop

Scott
--
Preston S Justis
Astrophotography home page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/psjustis/
++++++++++++++++++++++

Thats a KEEPER!
You haven't lost the touch.

Now to convince the wife I need one of those cameras.

Is that a Hutech modified one or right out of the box?

Rick

Old April 21st 07, 08:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

Rick,
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Preston S Justis wrote:

My first venture back into astroimaging since 2001.
Took a number of 50mm shots just to test the D200.

Southern Milky Way from Gates Co. NC, USA
Camera mounted piggyback on Losmandy G-11
No filter
50mm f/1.8 Nikkor D lens stopped to f/5.6
18 minute guided exposure/ISO 500
PP done in Photoshop

Scott
--
Preston S Justis
Astrophotography home page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/psjustis/
++++++++++++++++++++++

Thats a KEEPER!
You haven't lost the touch.

Now to convince the wife I need one of those cameras.

Is that a Hutech modified one or right out of the box?

Rick

Thanks! I had a ball last night, even with the mild temps
in the low 30's :^)

The D200 is unmodified. I'm also going to use it for macro
work with a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

Scott

Old April 21st 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Preston S Justis wrote:

[...]

Doesn't lack for red response. Cannon must have changed their IR filter
to cut off below H-alpha.

Rick

Old April 22nd 07, 01:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Looks like a successful test. Certainly one of the deepest wide field DSLR
shots I have seen.

Stefan

Old April 24th 07, 01:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Preston S Justis" wrote

My first venture back into astroimaging since 2001.......

It's great to see you back imaging Scott!!

I've been wondering when someone would start using the Nikon.

It the limited use I've made of a DSLR I take 30 second shots and add them.
The one advantage is that you can not use the poor ones that have plane
trails or other problems. I can also use a tiny Orion mount because the
exposures are so short. In fact you can even just use a tripod. Either way,
you can also make "movies" showing the movement of the stars.

George N

Old April 26th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

"George Normandin" wrote in message
"Preston S Justis" wrote

My first venture back into astroimaging since 2001.......

It's great to see you back imaging Scott!!

Thanks George, the Wife isn't too crazy about this though. She wants
this old fart home at night :^).

I've been wondering when someone would start using the Nikon.

I'm a die hard Nikonian! It's what I started with and I'll have
a Nikon when they plant me in the ground.

It the limited use I've made of a DSLR I take 30 second shots and add

them.
The one advantage is that you can not use the poor ones that have plane
trails or other problems.

There were planes all over the sky that night. I guess I was just lucky. I
was thinking
of adding the two together that I just posted. There is a significant amount
of overlap
in these two images. I may do shorter exposures in the future as you
suggested.

I can also use a tiny Orion mount because the
exposures are so short. In fact you can even just use a tripod. Either

way,
you can also make "movies" showing the movement of the stars.

I would like to get a small tracking mount for the camera with a telephoto
lens and guidescope. Haven't really looked into that yet. I'm still getting
geared up
for my daytime photography. The D200 has an intervalometer feature as well.

Scott

Old April 26th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
PeteP

Hallo,
An example of a 'movie' of the stars, much light of the enviroment but
nevertheless
This is a shot 16 minutes, F4, iso 200, 10 mm (Sigma 10-20), Nikon D200.
noisereduction, compressed to 386 kB

Peter P.
"George Normandin" schreef in bericht
"Preston S Justis" wrote

My first venture back into astroimaging since 2001.......

It's great to see you back imaging Scott!!

I've been wondering when someone would start using the Nikon.

It the limited use I've made of a DSLR I take 30 second shots and add
them.
The one advantage is that you can not use the poor ones that have plane
trails or other problems. I can also use a tiny Orion mount because the
exposures are so short. In fact you can even just use a tripod. Either
way,
you can also make "movies" showing the movement of the stars.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6708compr.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	756
Old April 27th 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Preston S Justis

"PeteP" wrote in message
Hallo,
An example of a 'movie' of the stars, much light of the enviroment but
nevertheless
This is a shot 16 minutes, F4, iso 200, 10 mm (Sigma 10-20), Nikon D200.
noisereduction, compressed to 386 kB

Peter P.

That's wonderful Pete! That Sigma 10-20mm is on my (real) short list of
lenses
to get. How do you like it?

Thanks for posting!

Scott

Old April 27th 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Preston S Justis" wrote

I would like to get a small tracking mount for the camera with a telephoto
lens and guidescope. Haven't really looked into that yet. I'm still
getting
geared up
for my daytime photography. The D200 has an intervalometer feature as
well.

Scott,

Here (http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/sagittarius.avi) is a
'movie' made from a small number of 30 second exposures I made with a
borrowed Canon Rebel DSRL (no mod, so very little red sensitivity) mounted
on an Orion EQ-1. The lens was a Tamaron 28-210mm zoom working around 35mm
and F/4. This is a big file, so if you are on dial-up forget it!

The EQ-1 is Orion's smallest mount and I got a "second", mostly for use
with my solar PST, but it works great for wide-field tracking. If you get
into this DSLR astro-imaging I suggest getting a free copy of IRIS and read
the tutorials, etc. It's a difficult software package to learn, but it's
very comprehensive, and best of all it's free!!

BTW, this 'movie' was made with the nearly full moon up!! Subtracting out
moonlight is one of the benefits of digital.

Clear skies,

George Normandin