ASTRO: old c14 image of M51: first light of AO7/ST10/AP reducer combo

Old April 18th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: old c14 image of M51: first light of AO7/ST10/AP reducer combo

AP claims the 0.67x ccd reducer will not work with the AO7. Poppycock, they
just didn't think about it long enough or something else.....

Here's my design from the "skunk works":

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/Red...older_page.htm

and the first light results:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m51...alaxy_page.htm

it worked ok and would be better if the seeing was good: usual excuse right?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m51_st10_lrgb_small.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	676
Old April 18th 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:

AP claims the 0.67x ccd reducer will not work with the AO7. Poppycock, they
just didn't think about it long enough or something else.....

Here's my design from the "skunk works":

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/Red...older_page.htm

and the first light results:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m51...alaxy_page.htm

it worked ok and would be better if the seeing was good: usual excuse right?

I seem to be using that one of late!

A nice natural presentation. I have such fast seeing here I doubt a AOL
unit would help me much. Even a .1" star is pretty blurry most night.
Need to go to .01 on a really bright one to get a tight star most
nights. Even then one in the field will be sharp and another really
awful. Next frame a different one is sharp. Really weird. Slow seeing
does cause the stars to wonder about but they usually stay within the
fuzz ball of rapid seeing. When a breeze is blowing up my hill it will
elongate stars vertically. You can tell which side of the meridian I'm
on by which way the stars "tilt"! A wind from any other direction
doesn't bother and my help seeing in fact, but that off the lake wind is
usually at a very different temperature than the air elsewhere creating
the problem

I pushed my 51 hard to get the faint outer halo about 51. It's hard to
see unless you use a small window and move 51 out of frame, then you see
the brightening before you get to the galaxy on the east and west sides.

With 10 minute sub frames the lum image was nearly saturated where most
of the star clusters are in the galaxy which drowns out the color. They
show nice color in the RGB image however. The filters block enough
light they weren't saturated like on the lum image. I should see if it
is postable by itself. With only 20 minutes per color it is a bit noisy
however.

Rick

Old April 18th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H[_2_]

Oke guys i will never post M51 again.....
what a nice results you all have on this one.
I will try tonight again with a 6.3 focal reducer..and let know.
(don't know if i will post it..lol)

reg
Dirk

.. .

Old April 21st 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"D van den H" wrote
Oke guys i will never post M51 again.....

Ah, come on Dirk! We can never have too much of M-51!!

BTW, the dim background of stars thrown out from the collision that can be
seen in Richard's image (and many others) is visible in my 20-inch Dob from
a very dark location, as is detail in the spiral arms and the 'bridge'. It's
amazing what mag 7 sky will do for visual observing.

George N

Old April 21st 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"D van den H" wrote

Oke guys i will never post M51 again.....

Ah, come on Dirk! We can never have too much of M-51!!

BTW, the dim background of stars thrown out from the collision that can be
seen in Richard's image (and many others) is visible in my 20-inch Dob from
a very dark location, as is detail in the spiral arms and the 'bridge'. It's
amazing what mag 7 sky will do for visual observing.

George N

Having 20" helps too! I've seen it in a club member's 30" Obsession.
Looks like a photo. You can even see a hint of color contrast between
the two galaxies in that scope. But I get vertigo that high up in the
dark. Even with his 12' very heavy duty ladder I'm not comfortable up
there in the dark.

Rick

Old April 24th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Having 20" helps too! I've seen it in a club member's 30" Obsession.
Looks like a photo. You can even see a hint of color contrast between the
two galaxies in that scope. But I get vertigo that high up in the dark.
Even with his 12' very heavy duty ladder I'm not comfortable up there in
the dark.

Nothing like climbing the ladder to look thru a really big Dob to make you
appreciate a Cassegrain!

A guy has brought one of the four Obsession 36's to Stellafane a few times.
I really wanted to see the Veil Nebula in it, but I chickened out after
considering the climb up his rickety ladder with that scope pointed nearly
at the zenith. However, there *is* one advantage to a 36 inch Dob at star
parties: It attracts such long lines that people leave me and my 'little'
20 alone!!

George N