ASTRO: NGC 3486

Old April 15th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 3486

Not nearly as detailed as Doug's shot he posted a couple years ago. My
couple nights of good seeing have moved on it appears and its back to
normal. Clouds prevented me getting any color data. Looks like there
should be some HII regions in this guy. For being so faint he is rather
close at about 30 million light years from the red shift data. The
irregular is MCG +5-26-034 (PGC 033184) at magnitude 16 and 100 million
light years. Seems it didn't tangle with NGC 3486! The bright one in
the lower left corner is PGC 33261 also at magnitude 16 but it looks a
lot neater. It is also a lot farther away at about 400 million light
years based on a redshift of 0.0345.

Oddly SIMBAD classes NGC 3468 as Sc! Did someone miss the bar? It is
faint in my shot as I was digging in to see if this guy had interesting
detail in the nucleus -- apparently not. NED has the more logical SAB
classification.

14" LX200R@f/10, 12x5 minutes binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3486_12X5-3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	659
Old April 16th 07, 02:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

What a beauty Rick... good work.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 16th 07, 02:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

awesome Rick

you and Stefan and Scott have just created about a two season backlog of
interesting galaxies to shoot....

Old April 17th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, very good shot of this faint guy. I imaged it twice and could barely
show the halo of the galaxy.

Stefan

"Doug W." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..