ASTRO: some imaging friends

Old April 10th 07, 03:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: some imaging friends

The picture shows my long-time friends and fellow observers Tony P and his
CG-11, and Gary D and his Astro-Physics 6-inch refractor on an Astro-Physics
1200 GoTo mount. Tony only does film (still!!) and now lives in Virginia.
Gary does medium format film and CCD - excellent work, but he refuses to
show it to anyone but close friends. He now spends half his time living in
Hawaii and I wish he'd leave the refractor here in NY when he goes!

The dome is the home of the Kopernik 20-inch RC...... the woods is the home
of our New York bears.........

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gary.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	627
Old April 10th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Gary's setup looks just like mine sans ccd cameras

I have a '155 f/7 and the 80/900mm guidescope all on a 1200 mount too...

nice stuff!

Old April 12th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote

Gary's setup looks just like mine sans ccd cameras

I have a '155 f/7 and the 80/900mm guidescope all on a 1200 mount too...

I remember Gary putting a medium format camera on it for the first time
(mod'ed to flood with dry N^2), put a ST-4 on as a guider and went for about
2 hour exposures on hyper'ed film. A few days later he had just beautiful
pictures. This was his first time!! His comment: "So what's so difficult
about astrophotography?" The scope and mount might have helped a little!!

His most recent stuff was some images of the Mercury transit from Hawaii.
Hopefully he'll be back 'home' soon. Wish I could get the guy to share his
work with other than friends but he has no interest in doing so.

BTW, this refractor put up some just amazing views of Saturn at the Black
Forest Star Party a few years ago on a rare night of super seeing, and on
another evening at Stellafane. The views rivaled those thru Stellafane's
13-inch Shupmann refractor.

It's great when we can get a few folks working together and can move from
rig to rig to get the imaging going. We then use the C-14 for 'visual' while
the images are 'cooking'. Compared to working in a group I hate being alone
up on that mountain.

George N