ASTRO: 20RC

Old April 10th 07, 03:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: 20RC

Not much imaging with endless snow falling, so here's a pic of me and the
Kopernik Observatory 20-inch RC (taken by Alan Chen).

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georges 20a.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	625
Old April 10th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
Not much imaging with endless snow falling, so here's a pic of me and the
Kopernik Observatory 20-inch RC (taken by Alan Chen).

George N

A bit more impressive than my setup! Any word on Kopernick's future?

We're forecast to get 8" of that white stuff tomorrow and Wednesday. We
had a white Easter. Brown Christmas but white Easter. Things are
really screwy here this year.

(I went to send this and my spell checker changed Kopernick's to
"Copernican's". Smarter than I thought it was.

Rick

Old April 10th 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
KLM[_11_]

as nice as your superb work.

George Normandin wrote:

Not much imaging with endless snow falling, so here's a pic of me and the
Kopernik Observatory 20-inch RC (taken by Alan Chen).

George N

[Image]

Old April 10th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H

Nice RC George! looking fwd to your pictures when the snow finally stops...
Btw how is Alan doing? did not see pictures from him since a long time! hope
he's oke..

reg
Dirk

Old April 12th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

A bit more impressive than my setup!

Rick,

Move to Binghamton NY and for $35 per year you can use it any time you
want on any of our 3.5 clear nights per year!

Any word on Kopernick's future?

The split from Roberson Museaum is final and legal, and so the K-12 and
college lab education programs that they wanted to kill off are going on. We
had to give them about $25,000 to cut the deal. Now we'll see if we can
raise enough $$ to survive. At least it's better than the slow but assured
death that they had planned for the place.

(I went to send this and my spell checker changed Kopernick's to
"Copernican's". Smarter than I thought it was.

I'm always amazed by all of the people named Kopernik who e-mail me
claiming to be decedents of the famous Polish astronomer. I generally get no
response when I remind them that he was a Catholic canon lawyer, probably a
priest, and in any event not married. The answer of course is that everybody
from astronomers to ditch diggers from the small town of Koperniki ended up
with the same name. Only one of them thought that the sun was the center of
the solar system.

George N

Old April 12th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"KLM" wrote
as nice as your superb work.

Thanks!

Hopefully we can raise enough $$ to keep the place open and it will clear
up sometime soon so we can use the thing!

George N

Old April 12th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"D van den H" wrote
Nice RC George! looking fwd to your pictures when the snow finally
stops...
Btw how is Alan doing? did not see pictures from him since a long time!
hope he's oke..

Dirk,

From his e-mail to me Alan is doing OK. He is still trying to work in
Pennsylvania while maintaining his Florida house so is very busy. I hope to
see him soon either at Kopernik or the Cherry Springs Star Party. He will be
one of the speakers on imaging with one-shot color cameras at North East
Astro Fest (NEAF) later this month.

George N

Old April 12th 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

[...]

In that era celibacy wasn't much of a bar to kids if I remember my
history right. But I never saw any mention of his having any. But then
my dad's parents never had kids either according to the official records
but he and his brother certainly were/are real just the same. Brother
is still kicking at 94 as I get emails from him all the time.

I should mention that same spell checker also changed defraction to
defecation and I didn't notice until the guy I was helping took offense
at my calling his scope crappy. So it was pretty dumb too. I added
defraction to the dictionary so it won't happen again and turned off
auto correct.

Good luck with Kopernik's future.

Rick

Old April 14th 07, 06:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
KLM[_13_]

George Normandin wrote:

"KLM" wrote
as nice as your superb work.

Thanks!

Hopefully we can raise enough $$ to keep the place open and it will clear
up sometime soon so we can use the thing!

George N

We had one clear warmish day .......... sometime last year!
That is how it seems. Two, no three weeks of cold, rain,
snow! .... I am about to lose it. Two spectroscopes to test.
Things to be done and everyone in a deep funk and growly
Pray!