monoculars cut down from binoculars

Old February 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
chezruss

Default monoculars cut down from binoculars

hi
ive got a pair of binoculars that i thought about canniblising into a
monoocular.
its not complete sacriledge as the 2 sides dont focus at the same
point anyway, and also my idea is to keep size to minimum.
anyone ever try this or have an opinion.

thanks chezruss

Old February 9th 07, 04:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dennis Woos

hi
ive got a pair of binoculars that i thought about canniblising into a
monoocular.
its not complete sacriledge as the 2 sides dont focus at the same
point anyway, and also my idea is to keep size to minimum.
anyone ever try this or have an opinion.

thanks chezruss

A guy in our club does this to make cheap finders to mount on scopes, and
they work just fine.

Dennis

Old February 10th 07, 02:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben

On Feb 9, 9:47 am, "Dennis Woos" wrote:
hi
ive got a pair of binoculars that i thought about canniblising into a
monoocular.
its not complete sacriledge as the 2 sides dont focus at the same
point anyway, and also my idea is to keep size to minimum.
anyone ever try this or have an opinion.

thanks chezruss

A guy in our club does this to make cheap finders to mount on scopes, and
they work just fine.

Dennis

Gentlemen,

In the October,1998 installment of Sky&Tel Roger Sinnott's
`Tele-Tips' article features a rather detailed method of making
a finderscope out of a binocular half. It requires a couple of
woodblocks, some PVC tubing and some nylon setscrews.
I have been mulling over this idea sent in by Jim Mazur
of North Branford, Ct. S&T may have it archived. Check it out.

Ben
90.126 N 35.539

Old February 10th 07, 02:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
dogman

On Feb 9, 8:07 am, "chezruss" wrote:
hi
ive got a pair of binoculars that i thought about canniblising into a
monoocular.
its not complete sacriledge as the 2 sides dont focus at the same
point anyway, and also my idea is to keep size to minimum.
anyone ever try this or have an opinion.

thanks chezruss

It may not matter but every binoular set I ever saw one side had a
separate focus so you could get both sides in focus.

Old February 17th 07, 12:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Richard Tobin

In article . com,
dogman wrote:

its not complete sacriledge as the 2 sides dont focus at the same
point anyway, and also my idea is to keep size to minimum.
anyone ever try this or have an opinion.

It may not matter but every binoular set I ever saw one side had a
separate focus so you could get both sides in focus.

He probably means they're not correctly aligned.

-- Richard

in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
Old February 17th 07, 04:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Feb 9, 7:07 am, "chezruss" wrote:
hi
ive got a pair of binoculars that i thought about canniblising into a
monoocular.
its not complete sacriledge as the 2 sides dont focus at the same
point anyway, and also my idea is to keep size to minimum.
anyone ever try this or have an opinion.

thanks chezruss

Cutting a pair binoculars in half to make two finders works just fine.
A lot people go to rummage/garage sales to buy binoculars for just
this reason. I have half a binocular on one of my scopes. Stripping
out the optical parts from the shell can provide a wealth of useful
optical parts. If the shell is broken up you can use the lens and
eyepiece to make a dandy finder/

Binoculars Pippen Amateur Astronomy 18 November 1st 05 04:33 PM
binoculars Dave Blackledge UK Astronomy 4 July 14th 05 12:50 AM
Binoculars DS UK Astronomy 1 October 29th 04 07:40 PM
To buy or not to buy binoculars? Peter B Amateur Astronomy 26 November 6th 03 04:27 AM
Binoculars.. Brian Stephanik Amateur Astronomy 9 October 7th 03 04:28 AM