ASTRO: NGC 2841

Old January 27th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 2841

I recently had three nights with changing weather where clouds ruined most
shots, so I "only" got a bit more than 4 hours of usable data in two long
winter nights for NGC 2841. Fortunately I had a very bright guidestar, so
the autoguider didn't loose the guidestar even through the clouds. Between
the clouds transparency was excellent.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 53x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/2841-53x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2841-53x5gut.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	392
Old January 27th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
I recently had three nights with changing weather where clouds ruined
most shots, so I "only" got a bit more than 4 hours of usable data in
two long winter nights for NGC 2841. Fortunately I had a very bright
guidestar, so the autoguider didn't loose the guidestar even through the
clouds. Between the clouds transparency was excellent.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 53x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/2841-53x5gut.jpg

Stefan

That came out well. It's on my to do list but doubt I'll be doing much
for a while now. I still have some goofs to try and salvage and one
good one at least to work on, my first retake of an object first imaged
with the 6" f/4 last spring. It will make an interesting comparison of
how far I've come in 9 months.

I've been dead now for over a week here due to clouds. It is clear by
day then clouds up come evening. Two nights ago everything looked
perfect. I started a series. Came back to check on it and found the
frame blank. Went outside and it was starting to snow. All in 15
minutes. ARGH.

Winter has hit. Last imaging run I was running 4% cooling current with
the camera at -35C. Now I'd have to heat the camera for that temp!
When I run it colder than -35C I get an odd triangle shaped bloom to
bright stars so don't go any colder. There is a fix but that means
opening the camera, removing the power supply to get at the pot then
putting it all back together again after adjusting the pot a bit. Then
doing it all over again if you didn't adjust enough. Adjust too much
and it loses quantum efficiency.

Tonight it is to be clear but with strong winds and that means lots of
blowing snow. That has the sky white by day and puts snow in the
observatory if I roll the roof. Besides, it makes for horrid imaging.
Don't know why but flats don't get rid of the donuts on such nights and
over compensate for vignetting something awful. Makes a mess of imaging.

Rick

Old January 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

That is really a nice image. Great focus, tracking, S/N ratio and
processing. Well done!

Stefan Lilge wrote:
I recently had three nights with changing weather where clouds ruined
most shots, so I "only" got a bit more than 4 hours of usable data in
two long winter nights for NGC 2841. Fortunately I had a very bright
guidestar, so the autoguider didn't loose the guidestar even through the
clouds. Between the clouds transparency was excellent.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 53x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/2841-53x5gut.jpg

Stefan