ASTRO: Orion

Old January 19th 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Orion

Well I had a "sort-of" clear night last night but with temp at 14F (-10C),
additional light from snow cover, and poor transparency, I decided to limit
my observing to a little more experimenting with a Canon Rebel DSLR mounted
on a little Orion EQ-1 (not the reason why I picked Orion as the target).

This is the first time I tried raw files rather than jpgs. With the low
transparency and the camera's poor response to red there is not much
nebulosity in this image. I'm thinking of forking over the $200 to buy the
connector to put Canon EOS lenses on the STL-1301E.

A 12 minute exposure with Canon Digital Rebel, and Tamaron 38-200mm lens
(F/4) set to 50mm. This image is compressed and reduced in size, plus I cut
the bottom off because of an airplane trail. Image taken from my home
driveway about 5 miles north of Binghamton, NY.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orion.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	357
Old January 21st 07, 10:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Nice low-tech image :-)
Orion is probably my favourite constellation.

Stefan

Old January 21st 07, 06:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Nice low-tech image :-)
Orion is probably my favourite constellation.

Stefan,

I need to get more red sensitivity for wide field imaging. I've thought
of getting the connector to put the Canon EOS lenses on the STL-1301E, but
after seeing what Sean Walker has done with one of those 66mm ED
"telescopes" I may just get one of those. It's only a $150 more than the
lens connector and I can always sell it if I don't like it.

George N