ASTRO: Veil (right image this time)

Old December 23rd 06, 05:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Veil (right image this time)

I did it again, grabbed the wrong image. I wondered why that galaxy was
on the wrong side. I had it upside down. Also that image had a green
cast that I had removed in the image with north at the top. So here
goes again. This time the comments should make more sense. I've got to
get some sleep.

This is another that I didn't think looked good enough and again I was
wrong. Though it is slightly out of focus as the temp dropped over 10C
during the lum frames and it dates back before I had data for
Robo-focuser's thermal compensation. Now that wouldn't be a problem.

It appears the OIII and the HII regions don't overlap in this guy. It
is either OIII or HII without much if any mixing. Either that or my
color processing is really bad. If they are not mixed why would the
shock front carry the hydrogen differently than the oxygen? The
hydrogen seems to lag behind to varying degrees.

It appears much darker east (left) of the nebula than outside the bubble
(right side) Not sure if this is real or my processing. Has the
shockwave cleared out dust and gas as it went by?

Is that a tiny galaxy trying to get through the dust of the Milky Way
left of the biggest red area about the center of the nebula? If so it
must be really obscured.

I probably should have rotated the camera but I didn't so it crosses the
short axis of the frame. But I like to have north at the top, even if I
did post it with south up the first time.

LX200R@f/10, 4x10L, 3x10RGB all binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VEILWESTLRGB_4X10_3X10R.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	244

Old December 23rd 06, 06:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks

It's only processed using curves and nothing else. Seems if I try
anything else it comes out harsh and pretty poor looking. I never seem
to have enough data for deconvolution or even unsharp masking or any
type of sharpening. Only the core of M77 took some unsharp masking but
that looks heavy handed so need to back that up some if I redo it. I
did blur the color frames a bit as they were grainy but that didn't seem
to hurt the final image any. (10 minute sub RGB frames just didn't have
the density I needed, should have gone longer.) There is still a slight
cast to the sky but when I took it out totally then the colors went wild
so left it in. I'll get the hang of it eventually. I know chemical
darkrooms not digital darkrooms unfortunately! But then I no longer
have hive covered fingers so some good has come of the switch.

I haven't yet tried your suggestion of 1x1 for the lum and 2x2 for the
color to retain star color. Not much left in these stars.

This was taken back in September and forgotten as I saw the focus wasn't
good at the corners. When the temp drops, without temperature
compensation on the focuser the corners go out of focus. Due to the
curvature of the field when the center is at the max in focus the
corners are at the max out focus of the depth of field. If the temp
changes it moves the focus out. The center stays in focus but the
corners go to pot fast. That's what happened here. Now I have the temp
compensation curve in Robo-Focus correct and I can survive a sudden temp
drop without much of a problem -- If I can keep it running. My unit
doesn't like to start up. Got a replacement coming. Should be here by
now but guess the Christmas rush slowed it up. The loaner worked fine
when mine was back at the factory but a week after its return it started
refusing to turn on again. Hope the replacement will stay on or that
extension cord will become permanent out to the observatory until spring
and I can run a new underground line.

Rick

Old December 23rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

Hi Rick,

I hope your replacement Robo Focus comes soon. Regarding processing images,
I use curves as the #1 processing tool by far.

Regards,

Old December 24th 06, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Beautiful image Rick! I can (and have) spent hours exploring the Veil with
my 20-in Dob.

George N

Old December 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

It's only processed using curves and nothing else. Seems if I try
anything else it comes out harsh and pretty poor looking. I never seem to
have enough data for deconvolution or even unsharp masking or any type of
sharpening.........

Rick,

The stars look pretty sharp in this image. You need at least a 3.5 FWHM
to get much out of deconvolution.

corners go to pot fast. That's what happened here. Now I have the temp
compensation curve in Robo-Focus correct and I can survive a sudden temp
drop without much of a problem .....

I'm not familiar with how the Robo works. How do you get the temp curve?
From your own data or does the manufacturer provide it?

George N

Old December 24th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

It's only processed using curves and nothing else. Seems if I try
anything else it comes out harsh and pretty poor looking. I never seem to
have enough data for deconvolution or even unsharp masking or any type of
sharpening.........

Rick,

The stars look pretty sharp in this image. You need at least a 3.5 FWHM
to get much out of deconvolution.

corners go to pot fast. That's what happened here. Now I have the temp
compensation curve in Robo-Focus correct and I can survive a sudden temp
drop without much of a problem .....

I'm not familiar with how the Robo works. How do you get the temp curve?
From your own data or does the manufacturer provide it?

George N

There are several ways. What I've done is just noted the position and
temp and loaded that chart into its software. It computers a line
slope. I then use that slope to have it figure the correct focus after
focusing the first time for the night. It can also work for the temp
reading and go to a position but since that position can be altered
without moving the focuser because this scope has a movable mirror
(locked) I go with the slope method. I do use the temp from my chart to
set the approx focus then fine tune it and let Robo take over from there.

You can download the manual on line and read all about it.

Rick

Old December 24th 06, 11:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Johnny Borborigmi