Astro: Double Cluster

Old December 9th 06, 05:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

Default Astro: Double Cluster

Here's another cluster photo. Image details are here on my website:

http://www.christensenastroimages.co...ngc869-884.htm

Have a great weekend!

Jon Christensen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doublecluster_small.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	216
Old December 9th 06, 07:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I tried a shot of this one a month ago at F/10. Even with only 2 minute
sub frames the RGB shots showed the main stars as so fully saturated
they all came out white except for an orange halo around those that show
an overall orange color in your shot. I gave up processing it as I just
could get no color out of it. How do you prevent this at the much
faster f ratio of the Epsilon? It would seem even harder to accomplish.
Very short sub frames?

Rick

Old December 9th 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

Hi Rick,

My subframes were 10 minutes each binned 1x1. I really didn't do anything
special. Did you bin your images?

Jon

Old December 9th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful colours and a perfect field for those two.
I recently took a peek at the double cluster in my ETX70 scope (was too lazy
to set up one of my larger scopes) and it was a breathtaking sight event
with the small optics and city skies.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to preserve star colours well when I imaged
this object.

Stefan

Old December 10th 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Yes they were binned 2x2 as seeing rarely supports 1x1. Though that
would cut the exposure and maybe retain color better. I could always
reduce them later. In 2 minutes any star of 11th magnitude or brighter
was at an ADU of 60k which washes everything out for color. You are at
just over 10" while I'm at 14" but I'd think the much shorter focal
length would compress the stars to so few pixels (same camera) that
you'd saturate even faster than I do. Maybe the binning has something
to do with it.

Tonight the clouds cleared and it was warm (0C). Temp has been
fluctuating 30C lately. So I was all set for great imaging. Found the
desiccant canister had worked loose with the temp change and I had a
fogged window. 30 more minutes and I can take it out of the oven. I'd
just done it a few months ago but apparently didn't tighten it down
enough. SBIG says don't pinch the O ring so I didn't tighten it very
hard but it was completely loose when I opened the camera. Same temp
swings had tightened the center screw of the filter wheel so it wouldn't
line up the lum frame correctly. Each time it would stop in a different
place. So temp caused one to come loose the other to tighten too much.
Things you have to learn switching from film to digital! Now the moon
is up and clouds are coming back. I think I'll go back to getting "on"
those clouds and snow. Typos can sure change the meaning sometimes!

My ST-11000 shows a bloom when I bin at 3x3 and cool below -20C. At 2x2
it shows up at sensor temps below -35C so I hold the temp there rather
than going lower. Don't know when it cuts in at 1x1. I was wondering
if that may mean the gain setting of the camera is too high and might
explain why you don't saturate and I do. It was a used camera but the
previous owner claims not to have played with the gain setting that
controls that bloom.

Rick

Old December 10th 06, 06:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

I've been on a cloud or two in my lifetime. :-)

l just had a great dinner and a beer or two so I'm feeling good!

I always bin 2x2 for the color except for this picture. The double cluster
image was my first and only (except for one other lousy attempt) at shooting
color with 1x1 binning. So if you cruise my website everything is shot with
2x2 binning in the color whether it's my 12 1/2 ritchey or my 8" Tak. The
cores of the stars get saturated, but in the greyscale images the blue stars
are bigger in diameter than the red stars and vice versa and the cores are
saturated. But this difference in size makes the color.

Regards,

Old December 10th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

That's something I hadn't thought about. I figured when a 2x2 binning
was blown up to the size of the 1x1 lum image the stars would be about
the same size. Should have tried it. Thanks for the info.
Rick

Old December 10th 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Jon Christensen" wrote

Jon,

Beautiful picture of a great subject! I always end up observing this
object when ever it's up.

George N

Cluster and Double Star witness a new facet of Earth's magnetic behaviour(Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 March 30th 06 04:39 PM
Cluster and Double Star witness a new facet of Earth's magneticbehaviour (Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 March 30th 06 04:23 PM
Double Cluster Marco Fazzoli Misc 1 December 10th 04 04:14 PM
Double CLuster Marco Fazzoli UK Astronomy 0 December 5th 04 09:46 PM
Per: Double cluster Robert Geake UK Astronomy 0 July 30th 03 10:41 AM