Is this like some kind of rule?

Old January 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Is this like some kind of rule?

That says Northeastern observing (clear sky) is only possible
when the wind is howling, when the temp is at least -5d C and
the Moon is full?
-Rich
Old January 15th 06, 01:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:47:12 -0500, Rich wrote:

That says Northeastern observing (clear sky) is only possible
when the wind is howling, when the temp is at least -5d C and
the Moon is full?
-Rich

Sorry Rich, but it's my fault. Remember all those scopes that got sold
just to look at Halley's comet ? There were probably a fair number sold
just because Mars was really close last October too. I bought one of
them. Problem is, I intended to keep using it afterwards. I guess I
should have filed an impact statement with the EPA. Maybe it would help
if I didn't have it set up in my living room and didn't shine it up
everyday wondering if I'd ever be able to look through it instead if at it.

Old January 15th 06, 03:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I think it has something to do with winter. (^_^)

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

Old January 15th 06, 11:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

This hasn't been reviewed or published but I believe it to be the RICE or
Rich's Inverse Comfort Effect. It is an inverse square relationship between
the positive possible views/square of the discomfort.
jc

Old January 15th 06, 03:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Rich wrote:
That says Northeastern observing (clear sky) is only possible
when the wind is howling, when the temp is at least -5d C and
the Moon is full?
-Rich

It could be worse, you could live in Seattle where it's been raining for
nearly a month!

(coming from someone who lives in the NE who is as frustrated as you are!)

Mike.
Old January 15th 06, 05:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:47:19 -0500, cutshot wrote:

Rich wrote:
That says Northeastern observing (clear sky) is only possible
when the wind is howling, when the temp is at least -5d C and
the Moon is full?
-Rich

It could be worse, you could live in Seattle where it's been raining for
nearly a month!

We've had cloudy skies and above average temps for the past six weeks.
Call England, I want my cold clear weather back!
-Rich
Old January 16th 06, 04:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Mike cutshot wrote:

It could be worse, you could live in Seattle where it's been raining for
nearly a month!

As of today, if it rains between now and 0600 UTC
(about an hour from now) Vancouver will tie the
record, set in 1953, for the most consecutve rainy
days. 28. Ugh. Is this what I get for buying an apo
last fall?

As it was, the clouds parted for a while last night.
The full moon precluded any of the big iron, so
I bolted my new 4" Synta Mak to a camera tripod
and pointed it at a few things from the back yard.

It acquitted itself well: sharp images, good contrast.
The Trapezium was cleanly and clearly 4 stars,
no weirdness on Sirius or Procyon, the Cassini
Division, cloud bands and a couple of moons of
Saturn, and so on. Nice sharp mountains on the
limb of the moon. Definitely not a wide field scope:
the Pleiades looked better in the finder.

A fine scope generally, and an excellent scope for
what it cost. I hope to try it as a guide scope (what
I bought it for - compact and lots of focal length)
some time before summer.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce

Old January 16th 06, 12:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

laura halliday wrote:
Mike cutshot wrote:

It could be worse, you could live in Seattle where it's been raining for
nearly a month!

As of today, if it rains between now and 0600 UTC
(about an hour from now) Vancouver will tie the
record, set in 1953, for the most consecutve rainy
days. 28. Ugh. Is this what I get for buying an apo
last fall?

Dont feel bad. My son over at Ft Lewis hates training out
in the rain ya all have had for the past month.
To be honest, him and a bunch of other soldiers are now
hoping that it rains for a couple of more days, JUST
to break the record. (figured they done enough suffering
why not go for broke)

AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

Linux CentOS 4.2, KDE 3.3

Art Deco and Formosa's Rule Art Deco Misc 1 July 7th 05 03:07 PM
Republicans Rule Mark Misc 5 May 28th 04 12:56 PM
Mars is kind of short of nitrogen Sander Vesik Policy 47 February 21st 04 11:41 PM
The Wrong Kind Of Partisan Rand Simberg Policy 9 January 29th 04 05:05 PM
Close Encounter of a Cometary Kind -- STARDUST flies through Comet Wild 2 Ron Science 0 January 5th 04 05:19 AM