Buran Website Finds So Far

Old May 15th 05, 09:19 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Buran Website Finds So Far

These are things of interest I've found so far on the Russian language
Buran website.
There'll be more of this, but their site is down at the moment, so I'll
need to wait till it gets back up to find other things

The reusable Energia variant with flyback boosters and core stage:
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/gk175-2.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/gk175-5.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/gk175-1.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/buran-t.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/gk175-4.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/uragan1m.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/uragan3m.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/uragan4m.jpg

A cutaway standard Energia, showing the extensable landing legs (!) that
are housed in the four recoverable boosters with the other recovery gear:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/rocket.htm

Energia core stage:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/15-3.htm

Energia/Polyus:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/gud%2021.htm#space%20ship

Energia cargo carrier/Vulkan:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/38-3.htm#vulkan
http://www.buran.ru/htm/bigbook.htm

Energia motors:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/07-3.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/rd170.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/11-3.htm#blabla

Buran motors and fuel tanks (?):
http://www.buran.ru/htm/vsu.htm

Buran jet engine nacelles:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/vrdu.htm

Buran jet testbed:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/anabst.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/bstend.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/bstriver.htm

Buran cargo bay:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/mtkkmain.htm

Buran landing gear:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/lan_gear.htm

Buran interior structu
http://www.buran.ru/htm/f2.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/f1.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/2-01.htm

Buran ejection seats and abort sequence:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/katapu.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/escape.htm

Buran reentry profile and heating:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/algoritm.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/tersaf5.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/tersaf4.htm

Space Shuttle vs. Energia/Buran:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/compar.htm

Spacecraft photos (first of 6 pages):
http://www.buran.ru/htm/foto.htm

Buran Mpgs:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/video.htm

Buran art:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/baikal2.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/themes.htm
There's a "Buran.exe" something on that page that I didn't dare try, so
if you want to risk it....

BOR test spacecraft:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/bors.htm

MAKS spacecraft (with pdf's)
http://www.buran.ru/htm/maxmain.htm

Zarya spacecraft:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/zarya.htm

Russian scramjets:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/raks.htm

Books, CDs, and pins:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/cd-rom.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/poligraf.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/znachki.htm

Pat

Old May 15th 05, 11:29 AM
Brian Gaff

Well, as we don't speak Russian, what exactly is the point of the website,
and is there some idea to actually make this stuff work again, instead of
Shuttle? Seems to me that it was shelved for some reason, money probably,
but maybe because with changing needs it soon became obvious that it was a
nutcracker that was required, not a sledge hammer!

Is the airframe titanium or ally?

Brian

Email:

Old May 15th 05, 10:49 PM
Pat Flannery

Brian Gaff wrote:

Well, as we don't speak Russian, what exactly is the point of the website,
and is there some idea to actually make this stuff work again, instead of
Shuttle?

I assume there are two reasons, the website exists; national pride- the
Russians were very proud of having developed something as sophisticated
as Energia/Buran, and the Russian space fans want to see their nation's
space industry reinvigorated, so they look back to the "good old days"
of the 1980's; and the possibility of making some rubles by hawking
their books and CDs on the website.

Seems to me that it was shelved for some reason, money probably,
but maybe because with changing needs it soon became obvious that it was a
nutcracker that was required, not a sledge hammer!

That's about the size of it- the whole design really wasn't economically
feasible- they had copied the Shuttle, high launch costs and all.

Is the airframe titanium or ally?

That's a good one- I had to look it up; Buran did use some titanium but
was mainly aluminum, like the Shuttle:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/buran.htm
"Structural materials - The orbiter structure was built of conventional
aircraft-grade Aluminum alloy D16. Fuselage details were of aluminum
1163, and the cabin module of Aluminum 1205. Titanium VT23 was used in
high strength structural members - the girdle longerons of the wings,
the fuselage spanners, the barrel section of the payload bay, the wing
gloves, and the fuselage spanners carrying the launch vehicle loads.
Nomex blankets were used in the payload bay."

Pat
Old May 16th 05, 02:38 AM
Henry Spencer

Pat Flannery wrote:
Seems to me that it was shelved for some reason, money probably,
but maybe because with changing needs it soon became obvious that it was a
nutcracker that was required, not a sledge hammer!

That's about the size of it- the whole design really wasn't economically
feasible- they had copied the Shuttle, high launch costs and all.

Actually, nobody much cared. The two systems' background weren't the
same. Buran *wasn't* going to be the uber-launcher that would replace
every other Soviet launcher. It had a much narrower customer base: the
Soviet military, which was worried (unnecessarily, needless to say) about
possible military uses of the US shuttle. The fact that it was expensive
compared to other Soviet launchers was irrelevant, because it was never
meant to supersede them. What mattered was that by the time of its first
flight, the Soviet military was rapidly losing interest... not to mention
what was happening to their budget.

The fact that Buran was basically a military project is also why it's so
hard to find a coherent explanation (from Russian sources, not from US
observers eagerly but incorrectly drawing analogies to the shuttle) of
just why it was undertaken and why it was abandoned. Nobody talked about
such things then... and to some extent they still don't.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old May 16th 05, 03:05 PM
Scott Dorsey

Henry Spencer wrote:

The fact that Buran was basically a military project is also why it's so
hard to find a coherent explanation (from Russian sources, not from US
observers eagerly but incorrectly drawing analogies to the shuttle) of
just why it was undertaken and why it was abandoned. Nobody talked about
such things then... and to some extent they still don't.

I remember that when the Soviet Union opened up in the early nineties,
there was a post to rec.radio.noncomm from someone in .su, offering to
sell a Buran really cheap. Wonder if anyone ever bought it?
--scott

Old May 17th 05, 12:51 AM
Pat Flannery

Henry Spencer wrote:

The fact that Buran was basically a military project is also why it's so
hard to find a coherent explanation (from Russian sources, not from US
observers eagerly but incorrectly drawing analogies to the shuttle) of
just why it was undertaken and why it was abandoned. Nobody talked about
such things then... and to some extent they still don't.

Ever see the drawings of the wingless space warship version of the
design? When I was going through those Buran website pages, I came
across of one of the Buran type shuttles with its RCC nosecap removed
which may show the mounting for the the nose docking collar and the crew
transfer hatch: http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/buranol3.jpg

Pat

Old May 17th 05, 02:23 AM
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

These are things of interest I've found so far on the Russian language
Buran website.
There'll be more of this, but their site is down at the moment, so
I'll need to wait till it gets back up to find other things

It's back up- here's batch number 2...this is probably most of the rest
of the interesting pages on the website, with the exception of one page
I couldn't relocate that had a lot more photos of the cockpit interior
layout.

English language section of site index:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/mapsite.htm

Spiral spacecraft in English and Russian:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/str126.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/spiral.htm

MiG 105 Spiral jet testbed:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/epos.htm

Buran page in English with many links:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/molniya5.htm

Very well linked Buran cutaway page:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/kompon.htm

Atlant Buran/Energia carrier aircraft:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/3m.htm

Buran/Energia launch complex:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/ukss.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/sk.htm
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/bbur12.jpg
http://www.buran.ru/htm/foto4.htm

Buran cockpit instrument layout:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/soi.htm

Buran subassembly breakdown, (by materials used?)
http://www.buran.ru/htm/inside.htm

Buran tiles and tile placement:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/tersaf.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/raskroy.htm

Buran reentry damage:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/terlost.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/tersaf2.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/tersaf3.htm

Buran wing structu
http://www.buran.ru/htm/wings.htm

Buran tail structu
http://www.buran.ru/htm/tail.htm

Buran OMS motors:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/odu.htm

Buran cargo bay instrument pod:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/ongetk.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/newssp.htm

Alternate shuttle design:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/str124.htm

Buran jet testbed:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/hrono.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/sydney.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/anabst2.htm

Buran 3D computer models:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/3d-model.htm

Buran/Energia details:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/cherch.htm

Energia derived heavy lift vehicle and Vulkan:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/38-3.htm

Polyus battle station:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/cargo.htm

Energia core tankage:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/photo3.htm

MAKS spaceplane:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/molniya6.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/maxpro.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/makszad.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/bigbook3.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/busfact.htm#maks-op
http://www.buran.ru/htm/maxvid.htm

Russian "SpaceShipOne" analog:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/str81.htm

Reusable scissors-wing flyback rocket booster (this is really neat!):
http://www.buran.ru/htm/strbaik.htm

Pat
Old May 17th 05, 06:04 AM
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

These are things of interest I've found so far on the Russian
language Buran website.
There'll be more of this, but their site is down at the moment, so
I'll need to wait till it gets back up to find other things

It's back up- here's batch number 2...this is probably most of the
rest of the interesting pages on the website, with the exception of
one page I couldn't relocate that had a lot more photos of the cockpit
interior layout.

English language section of site index:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/mapsite.htm

Okay, let's try that one again:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/molniya2.htm
Anyone who can read Russian might enjoy going here, which is the first
page of most of the pages in chronological order (100 plus), you can
move through the pages in their chronological order via the forward
arrow on the page's bottoms:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/str01.htm

Pat
Old May 17th 05, 09:25 AM
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

It's back up- here's batch number 2...this is probably most of the
rest of the interesting pages on the website, with the exception of
one page I couldn't relocate that had a lot more photos of the cockpit
interior layout.

Here's the overall cockpit layout and forward pressure hull structu
http://www.buran.ru/htm/cocpit.htm
http://www.buran.ru/htm/f1.htm
Buran mechanical arm:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/bighand.htm
Buran external EVA/docking airlock
http://www.buran.ru/htm/equipm.htm#spk

Pat

Pat
Old May 17th 05, 10:26 AM
Revision

"Henry Spencer"
the Soviet military, which was worried
(unnecessarily) about ... military uses of the US shuttle.

Yes. This goes way back. IIRC the Soviets came up with their planned
Buran response to US "attack shuttle" back around 1971 or in the early
70s anyway.

The notion of a Buran filled with nukes, death rays, and poison gas is
another example of Russia's idea of how to make the world a better
place.