Election seats

Old May 30th 04, 12:42 PM
Remy Villeneuve

Default Election seats

Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm
Old May 30th 04, 02:35 PM
OM

On 30 May 2004 04:42:55 -0700, (Remy Villeneuve)
wrote:

Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm

....Actually, I found this one more interesting:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig2.jpg

....The use of a "fold-out" or "pop-down" flap to offset the C/G during
reentry enough to provide lift is an interesting concept. Just how far
did this proposal get past the drawing stage? Based on the additional
notes, I suspect not very far :-P

....And then there's this one:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig5.jpg

....And was this how the parasail was intended to work on Gemini as
well?

....Of course, if the guys at Mattel had our resources and/or had been
thinking clearly, Major Matt Mason would have had one of these:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig8.jpg

....With a missile launcher on the top, too!

....And this one:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig37.jpg

....Whatever happened to those old training mockups, anyway? McD still
have them, or did the scrap them and/or donate them to a museum?

....HOLY ****! Beady, rk, Pat, & Henry! Check this out:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig48.jpg

....Finally! Evidence of the Ballute proposal I've been looking for for
ages! Gotta flag Mark Wade on this one, natch!

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 31st 04, 02:03 PM
Joe

On Sun, 30 May 2004 08:35:33 -0500, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote:

Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm

I hope that this "election" produces "one hell of a headache,but a short one", for Shrub

Old June 1st 04, 10:37 PM
Doug...

says...
Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm

Yep -- there are quite a few people who have run for office I'd *love*
to see forced to use one of those "election seats"... especially if they
resulted in John Young's helluva short headache!

Doug

Old June 1st 04, 10:46 PM
Doug...

om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy... _facility.org says...

snip

...And then there's this one:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig5.jpg

...And was this how the parasail was intended to work on Gemini as
well?

From what I can tell, looking at the illustration, that is supposed to
be a Gemini. (See the indentation for the hatch window in the illo?) I
don't ever recall Gemini planning on using the heatshield as a skid,
though -- they were always going to have two body skids and one nose
skid, whent hey were planning for the Gemini paraglider landings.

...Of course, if the guys at Mattel had our resources and/or had been
thinking clearly, Major Matt Mason would have had one of these:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/images/fig8.jpg

...With a missile launcher on the top, too!

That would have been keen! I always liked that LM proposal -- IIRC, it
was proposed as a lunar lander for a Mercury-based manned landing
proposal. You would use a Saturn 1B to launch the Mercury capsule and
the attached lander on a trans-lunar trajectory, with an Agena attached
to the whole thing to act as an LOI/TEI stage. The lone occupant of the
Mercury capsule would EVA into the lander, separate, land, get out, walk
around, pick up a pound or two of rocks, take off again, rendezvous with
his Mercury capsule, and climb back in -- all without ever taking off
his suit. Or having a pressurized cabin available.

Spending that much time in a hard suit, especially a Mercury-style suit,
would have gotten really uncomfortable, I bet...

Doug

Old June 2nd 04, 01:42 AM
Rick DeNatale

On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:42:55 -0700, Remy Villeneuve wrote:

Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm

Well Schirra elected not to use them!
Old June 2nd 04, 04:54 AM
Neil Gerace

"Rick DeNatale" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:42:55 -0700, Remy Villeneuve wrote:

Check out Figure 20 at this Gemini page at NASA... The typo speaks for
itself, I found it hilarious!

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4002/figures.htm

Well Schirra elected not to use them!

Looks like they both get voted off!